Peas in Rich Spicy Gravy
Posted By Savita
Matar Masala is very popular main course Indian dish prepared with green peas and tomatoes. Vegan and gluten free, this curry can also be an excellent base for any vegetarian or non-vegetarian main course curry.
The traditional version of Masala Matar Curry has sweet green peas in an easy and very versatile Indian tomato spiced curry. You can add soy tofu or indian paneer or chicken and make it your own. Serve it with rice or Indian style naan bread.
Whenever I make Masala Matar curry, I make double the quantity. Since it tastes even better a day after it has been cooked, I love frying some rice in for lunch next day or add some paneer/mushroom for a main course dish with roti/naan.
Fit in every taste profile, this easy curry never stops to amaze me! In my books, dinner can't be easier than this!!!
If you find curry on spicy side, serve it with traditional Cucumber Raita.
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
- 1 Cup Green Peas
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tomatoes (fine grated medium size tomatoes or 1/4 cup tomato paste)
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 Cup Yogurt (1/4 cup yogurt mix into 1/4 cup water)
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder (adjust per taste, I use more if mild)
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Curry Leaf
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion
- 2 Hot Green Pepper (small)
- 4 Garlic (Cloves)
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Cilantro (Chopped)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Grind Onion, garlic and Green Chili Pepper in grinder to a paste.
Additional NotesAdd Peas in boling water and cook till slightly tender. If using Frozen Peas, directly add these to gravy and cook.2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and Curry Pata and fry for 1 minute. Now, add grinded onion mixture to oil.
3. Fry onions mixture till brown (caramelized) and oil starts to seperate. (5-7 minutes)4. Now add turmeric, red chili powder and fry for 1 min. Add Coriander Powder, Tomato Paste , salt and fry till oil separates.
5. Remove pan from heat. Cool down, add yogurt and mix well. Turn on the heat again, add Peas and 1/2 cup water and simmer for 5-6 more minutes.6. Add Garam Masala and stir well. Serve with Naan Or Roti Or Rice
This curry can be great base for any vegetarian/non-veg curries.
Make some extra to fry some rice in leftovers for lunch next day!
Make some yogurt cucumber raita to counter the spiciness!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.