Spiced Sour Cream Waffles with Stewed Cranberries
Posted By Savita
Aroma of fresh made waffles can make any morning special! And if these waffles are ginger spiced sour cream waffles, topped with stewed cranberries, then this is certainly an extra special occasion!
Valentine's day is coming on Saturday this year, I think... a delicious breakfast in bed will be an excellent way to treat a special someone!
Not just Valentine's day, I would love if someone make me a breakfast in bed, any day of the year! Specially if it's a Saturday then I get so emotional and feel so pampered and special.... and.... and.... okay.... let's not go there....
but seriously, a special breakfast, or I should say a "Waffle Breakfast", does not need a special occasion! Every day is perfect to say "I love you!" with a tray full of warm waffles, salted butter, syrup-y cranberries, and a glass of juice or hot coffee on the side. Kids, adults, or elderly, I haven't met a single person who does not like waffles in breakfast!
These are WAFFLES, my friends! they can make any day special and anyone happy!
Whole Wheat and Ginger, again!?
Following the advice of my good friend, Mr. Alton Brown, I have added a good serving of whole wheat flour to these waffles. For two reasons, one to get some crusty exterior, and second for some whole wheat goodness.
And ginger! you know! I'm so in love with ginger, specially during winters (a bit in summer too!) Can't help it guys, ginger and garlic are like heart and soul of Indian cuisine (for good reasons)! Day before yesterday, I was talking to you about merits of ginger. Don't worry, I 'm not going give that lecture again, but in one line, "in winters, ginger is your best friend!" Trust voice of Chef De Home! However, if you don't have ginger or your don't like ginger, you can use 1/2 tsp of cinnamon or cardamom powder too.
Keeping today's post short and sweet like these Waffles......
Until we meet next....
Cheers! and Happy Cooking!
Glass of juice, smoothe, or a hot Chai Tea will be perfect with these waffles!
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Spiced Sour Cream Waffles with Stewed Cranberries
- 1 Cup Cranberries (fresh or frozen, unthawed)
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice (fresh)
- 6 tbsp Sugar (or use honey)
- 1.5 Cup All-Purpose Flour (I have used 1/2 cup whole wheat, and 1 cup all purpose)
- 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1.25 tsp Baking Powder (1 and 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 tsp Salt (table salt)
- 1 tbsp Ginger (juice of fresh grated ginger root, or 1/2 tsp ginger powder)
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Egg(s)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Sugar (or use honey)
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter (melted, then slightly cooled)
Ginger Spiced Sour Cream Waffles
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Stewed Cranberries - On medium heat. combine sugar, cranberries, and orange juice in a medium saucepan.2. Cook stirring few times (gently) until cranberries release their juice and are just soft, but still holding shape. about 10 minutes. Once done, set aside.
Additional NotesYields about 1/2 cup, stays good for 1-2 weeks in an airtight container.
3. Waffle Dry Mix - Mix all dry ingredients, flour (wheat and all purpose), baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a wide bowl and sift to combine.
Additional NotesYou can make this batch and use any day when time pressed.4. Mix all wet ingredients, sour cream, ginger juice, milk, eggs, vanilla, and butter in a bowl/jar and whisk to mix everything together.
5. Pour wet ingredients into dry and gently mix just until combined, then set aside for 10 minutes.6. In meantime pre-heat waffle iron. In hot waffle iron, brush butter or spray with oil, then add about 1/2 cup batter per waffle.
7. Cook 4 minutes or until steam stops emerging from cracks.8. Repeat for rest of the batter, meanwhile place cooked waffles on a sheet tray lined with cooling rack. Don't stack waffles or otherwise steam of hot waffles will make each other soggy.
Additional NotesIf not serving immediately, you can also preheat oven at 250 degrees Fahrenheit and keep cooked waffles warm while cooking rest.
9. Pour some stewed cranberries on stack of waffles. I also serve salted butter on the side. enjoy!
I often freeze a batch of waffles instead of serving store-bought version. To freeze, after making waffles, let'em come to room temperature, then pack in zip-lock bag and freeze for up to 6 months! To reheat, use toaster oven or heat an iron skillet and slightly toast both sides.
Waffle Mix Make Ahead - To reduce the time to make breakfast, mix dry ingredient at night. Also make stewed cranberries at night. In morning, add wet ingredients, make waffles. Serve hot with stewed cranberries and juice of your choice!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.