Lemon Strawberry Pound Cake
Strawberry Lemon Pound Cake made with fresh strawberries, lots of lemon and easy to find pantry ingredients.
Posted By Savita
This Strawberry Pound Cake recipe combines my two seasonal favorites, fresh strawberries and lemon, in one dessert.
I love strawberries. And I love pound cakes. Hence, a strawberry pound cake made perfect sense in my world. Moist, buttery and rich with fruit fragrance of strawberries and punch of lemon.. this cake is so epic, you will be missing something if you don't try it.
Fresh fruity strawberries, lemon and sugar!! Does that remind you something else too?
Season of colors and fresh bright flavors!
This cake sums all of the above in a buttery Pound Cake or a Strawberry Lemonade Pound Cake, if I may :)
Fresh Strawberry Cake!
I love adding fresh fruits to cakes.. Have you tried my fresh Clementine Cake? If you have not, please do! It is gluten free cake with amazing flavors of fresh whole clementines! Oh, and Mango Pound Cake, and Mango Cheesecake are like summer-flavors-at-best! (must try)
So, no surprise I wanted to share a fresh strawberry cake too. Isn't it a wonderful way to transition from winter to bright and beautiful colors of spring? Don't you think?
Someone once told me, "Pound cakes taste even better the next day!" I never understood that until I tried a slice of this buttery cake with tea tomorrow (after two days).. yumm! With that lemon glaze.. pound cake tasted like an extra-moist Glazed Lemon Pound Cake slice from a good bakery.
So much soft and still made from scratch with regular all purpose flour, fresh lemons, fresh strawberries, eggs and cream. Honestly, all richness is the magic of sour cream. (don't tell anyone) Sour cream makes this Pound Cake.. the most moist cake ever!
This is one of such cake which you would love to enjoy when strawberries are in season (thank you caption obvious ;)). Simple, fresh ingredients and down-heart cake is perfect to finish to Spring-style weekend family dinner.
As I said, ingredients for Strawberry Lemon Pound Cake are very simple, and easy to find. Most likely you will have all at home such as strawberries, lemon, plain white sugar, butter, and AP flour... and sour cream. (oh, you can also use thick greek yogurt instead of cream. hint hint)
If making strawberry cake from scratch sounds hard to you? This easy recipe will change things for good. Trust me, making a cake from scratch is as simple as a piece of cake. :) Just don't forget to bring all ingredients at room temperature. Very very important. Can't believe I'm saying this.. but trust me, I have messed up many cakes by not following this important advice. You don't want to go there! So, always bring everything to room temp.
Rest follow the recipe carefully and cake will be the best you have ever tasted! I promise!
Here is my check list to bake from scratch... yet make a perfect cake at home, every time!
Check List for baking a perfect cake at home:
1) Bring all ingredients to room temperature - eggs, butter, sour cream, milk, even strawberries.
2) Sift the dry ingredients before adding to wet. This ensures a lump free cake.
3) Make sure sugar and butter are fully mixed and fluffy, and sugar is no longer grainy.
4) Keep an eye on cake in last 10-15 minutes and always do toothpick test to check if cake is fully baked. If tooth pick does not come out clean but cake browning from top.. cover cake with aluminium foil and continue baking.
5) If ever adjust recipe or change ingredients, be prepared to adjust everything related to it.. such as ratio of wet to dry, oven temperature, cooking time etc.
6) Last but not least, follow the recipe. That always helps. :)
Last weekend, farmer's market was so full of fresh strawberries... that I'm all set explore lot more strawberry recipes! Don't forget to share with me, what is your favorite way to eat strawberries?
Oh, don't ever think strawberries are for desserts only. This Strawberry Pound Cake was just for sweet start of Spring :) I love to add these to salads and pair with savory meals. This Roasted Strawberry and Asparagus Ravioli Salad is my all-time favorite!
Enjoy! - Savita
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Lemon Strawberry Pound Cake
- 1 and 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour (1-2 tbsp more for preparing cake pan)
- 8 Strawberries (medium berries, small chopped or mashed)
- 2 Egg(s) (at room temperature )
- 1/4 lbs Unsalted Butter (1 stick, at room temperature )
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream (at room temprature)
- 1 Cup Sugar (white granulated)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Lemon (juice)
- 2 tbsp Lemon (zest)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Oil Spray
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon (juice)
Strawberry Pound Cake
1. Prepare a 9 by 4 inch loaf pan by coating with butter and dusting with flour and set aside. Pre heat oven at 350 degrees
2. In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients - sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt. Whisk to distribute. Set aside. Whisk with hand whisk or sift with sifter and set aside.
3. In a wide bowl, cream room temperature butter with sugar until sugar is no longer granny (using a hand held or stand mixer). Add in one egg at a time and beat after each addition until fully combined.
4. Add lemon juice, zest, Mix well. Fold in dry ingredient and sour cream into butter mixture in three alternate batches until just combined. Combine with cut and fold action for each batch until no or very less streaks of four remain. Don't over-mix. Now, add mashed strawberries and fold until just combined.
5. Transfer mixture to prepared pan and cook for 60-70 minutes or until *tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let it rest in pan for 10 minutes. Run knife through edges and remove cake from loaf pan. Let cool down completely on a wire rack before slicing.
6. For galze (if using), mix sugar with lemon juice. drizzle over cooled lemon pound cake loaf. Garnish with fresh sliced strawberries before serving. Serve and enjoy!
*Do a tooth pick test and bake until it comes out clean. If cake start tuning brown before toothpick comes out clean, lightly cover cake top with aluminium foil and continue baking.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.