Italian Egg Drop Soup
Posted By Savita
Straciatella is traditional Italian egg drop soup made with just eggs, chicken stock and herbs, I have added some macaroni pasta and fresh green peas in it to make it a complete meal soup for lunch or dinner. This soup is very filling and satisfying, About 200 calories per serving, this soup is a perfect winner meal for everyone looking to keep calories under control yet enjoying a delicious meal.
Total Time: Prep Time: Cook Time:
- 1/2 Cup Pasta (semolina small pasta shells like macaroni)
- 2 Cup Chicken Stock (Low Sodium Stock)
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas
- 2 Cup Water
- 1 Green Onion (1 bunch (also called Scallions) white and green divided and chopped)
- 2 Egg(s)
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp Lemon (Juice)
- 4 tbsp Parsley (fine chopped)
- Salt and Black Pepper (as per taste)
- 1. Combine chicken stock, water, pasta and green peas in a heavy bottom non-reactive pan or Dutch oven, cover and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Uncover and boil for half as long as directed by the pasta package cooking directions about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 2. Now add scallion whites and cook for about 1 minute. Crack eggs in a separate bowl, whisk till egg yolks are well blended with egg whites. Reduce heat to low, while stirring the soup constantly, slowly add eggs and then cook for 2 minutes or till cooked egg appears on surface of soup like feathery strands.
- 3. Season with salt (taste the soup if it needs salt ) and pepper. Stir in the scallion greens, parsley and lemon juice. Ladle into 2 bowls and serve hot. Enjoy!!!
Savita's Notes:You can replace semolina paste with whole wheat pasta and replace chicken broth with vegetable broth to it make even more light and healthy.