Kimchi Mashed Potatoes Cakes
Mashed Potatoes Transformed
Posted By Savita
Like I wrote in my - 12 enhancers for mashed potatoes recipe, please consider this recipe a tale of re-purposing mashed potatoes. Plain mashed potatoes and I, nah, we never go along very well. In other words, I am always finding ways to brighten up their flavor. Today, I was just not feeling like to eat leftover mashed potatoes at all, so I made these kimchi cakes for snack. Who knew, plain mashed potatoes with some kimchi and spices can be so amazing evening snack? Kimchi really makes the potato cakes sing and will not be regretted. We had this with a few dash of Tabasco sipping a cup of hot tea and it was the perfect evening snack. It also adds one more recipe to my favorite ways of changing the plain potatoes to something delicious.
Total Time: Prep Time: Cook Time:
- 1 Cup Potatoes (Leftover Mashed Potatoes)
- 1/4 Cup Kimchi (chopped)
- 3-4 White Bread (Or brown day old bread)
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1/4 Cup Rice Meal (and more for dusting and dredging)
- 2-4 tbsp Canola Oil (for shallow frying)
- Tabasco Sauce (few dashes, for serving)
- 1-2 tbsp Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Salt (adjust per salt in mashed potatoes and kimchi)
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Only if using mild Kimchi like I did.)
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (or white onion chopped)
- 1. Dice red onion and add to a mixing bowl.
- 2. Dice day old bread slices to small cubes and add to the bowl. I have also discarded the bread sides.
- 3. Slice Kimchi
- 4. Add kimchi to bowl and pumpkin seeds. I kept seeds whole for crunchy bite, you can slightly crush'em if you like. Kimchi also taste very good with kimchi pan fried udon noodles. I will add recipe sometime.
- 5. Add 1/4 tsp thyme and some red pepper (if you using mild spicy kimchi). Thyme really adds to flavor of mashed potatoes.
- 6. Mix in mashed potatoes and salt. Now, add 1 tbsp rice flour at a time to absorb moisture from potatoes.
- 7. Add 4-5 tbsp of rice meal (flour) in a plate or work board. Shape potato mixture to make small patties, dust with flour to prevent it from sticking. Set aside on the board dusted with rice meal.
- 8. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan. Place patties in the pan and let it brown on one side.
- 9. Now add 2 tbsp more oil, turn cakes and let brown on other side. I added oil in two batches, to prevent cakes from absorbing all oil while cooking one side. Be smart with use of oil, adding less oil in beginning help getting less oil in cakes. Less oil, healthy cooking :)
- 10. Serve cakes warm with green chutney or dashes of Tabasco sauce or some sour cream.
Savita's Notes:I recommend adding some crisp bacon bits to make these patties extra special.