Chickpeas and Spinach Soup
Posted By Savita
I just had the last of this delicious Chickpeas and Spinach Soup for lunch today. I will tell you this soup freezes well, so you can make a big batch and portion it out for a yummy soup anytime (just add the sour cream before serving). Pair it with a thick crusty bread or a salad and you are set.
Chickpeas and Spinach Soup sings on many healthy nodes, above all it is gluten-free and then spinach and low-sodium vegetable stock pack it with vegetable nutrition. At least 3 servings of recommend vegetable servings in one bowl for sure and the secret is my Homemade Vegetable Stock Recipe
I often chop extra veggies or keep the small leftover raw veggie pieces in freezer to make stock. So whenever I am in kitchen making a veggie variety soup, side-by-side I also utilize my time in making 6-8 cups of vegetable stock. And then for next few weeks, whenever I want, I can make soups, stews and rice with homemade stock - less sodium, almost no fat and packed with at least 2 veggie servings per cup or cup and half.
- 2 Cup Chickpeas (Canned or fresh boiled Chickpeas)
- 2 Cup Spinach (Baby Spinach)
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tsp Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Powder (Paprika)
- 2 Garlic (cloves of garlic)
- 2 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup Mix Vegetables (diced 1 stalk celery, 1 red potato, 1 yellow onion)
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1. Dice onion and all other veggies. Heat oil in a deep pot, add onion and saute for 5 minutes till onion are soft and translucent.
- 2. Add cumin, coriander, thyme, paprika and stir for 1 minute till herbs make onion fragrant.
- 3. Add chopped veggies and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4. Now, add vegetable stock, 2 cups of water, bring to boil. Add chickpeas and simmer for about 8-10 minutes till chickpeas are done to your liking.
- 5. Add spinach and continue cooking for 2 minutes. then add sour cream, mix well and remove from heat.
- 6. Serve it hot with side of crusty bread or salad. Enjoy!!