Roasted Shrimp and Quinoa Salad with Ginger-Hemp Dressing
Posted By Savita
This salad recipe comes with two promises - keep-full-longer and abundant-healthy-nutrition. Seriously, there are so many ingredients in this salad which scream - healthy, tasty and filling salad. Roasted lean protein shrimp with hearty and gluten free red quinoa and spicy ginger-hemp seed dressing. I am sure name says it all!
I remember when I first time made this salad for lunch, I not even got up for evening tea! Amazing!
Yes! amazing for an evening tea-addict like me. At 3:30pm sharp, my mind has auto clock which forces me to head to kitchen for a cup of tea.
The day I made this salad, Vishal had a lunch meeting, so he cancelled plans to eat at home... bad.... for him.. because he not informed me beforehand and then he had to eat this salad for dinner ;) (you guessed it!! he DON'T like eating salads in dinner at-alllll)
I ate a portion, a controlled portion, (okay! almost controlled!!) of salad since it was so addictive and I made a large portion for two of us. I kept going back to re-fill my plate a little more, a little more and then, I had...
- 1 lbs Shrimp
- 1 Cup Quinoa (red or rainbow quinoa, rinsed under running water)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil (for roasting shrimp)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder (roasted ground cumin)
- 1 Cup Green Peas (frozen peas)
- 1/2 Cup Green Onion (3-4, sliced scallions)
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts (roasted and salted peanuts)
- 1/2 Cup Parsley (rough chopped)
- 4-5 Radish (medium size radish, thin diced )
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (thinly sliced or use shallot for mild onion flavor)
- 1/2 Cup Golden Raisins
- Kosher Salt (per taste)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper (freshly ground, adjust per taste)
- 1-2 tsp Kosher Salt (always start with less, then adjust per taste)
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Ginger (1 inch root of ginger, rough chopped)
- 4 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Lemon (1/2 cup lemon juice)
Shrimp and Quinoa Salad
Ginger-Hemp Seeds Dressing
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Cook Quinoa - In a deep pot, bring 2 cup water to rolling boil. Add 1/4 tsp salt and quinoa. Bring to boil, then simmer for 6 minutes. Cover and remove from heat. After 5 minutes, add frozen green peas in quinoa and gently combine with fork and set aside to cool down completely.
- 3. Slice red onion into thin half-moon slices. Also slice radish and scallions. Place in a wide salad/serving bowl. In a food processor, pulse together the lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp hemp seeds, ginger, 1 tbsp honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Pour 2/3 of ginger-hemp dressing over onion, radish and set aside for 10 minutes or longer. This marinates onion and radish and make'em taste mild.
- 4. Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, cumin powder and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don’t overcook!
Add qunioa to marinating onions, then add parsley, peanuts, raisins. Toss well. Taste and adjust salt. I recommend adding all remaining black pepper, but salt you can use per taste. Add the shrimp and combine carefully. Garnish with hemp seeds and serve!
Additional Notes:If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature, add remaining dressing just before serving.
Always remember, quantity of salt vary as per taste and quality of salt used. I find some salts more salty than others. So start with less salt in dressing, then adjust per taste