Spooky Lemon Butter Noodles with Witch Croutons
Posted By Savita
These butter noodles will be favorite of every kid in Halloween party, I can promise you that! Few simple ingredients, spooky looks and ready in no-time, all you have to arrange for is - colored, Halloween-theme pasta/noodles available in most stores during this time of the year.
Butter noodles are always favorite among kids. I added a little twist in basic butter sauce and added lemon juice to lighten it up. Even ff you want skip lemon juice for kids, i recommend you try it once with lemon juice. I bet you will love the taste. If do not have lemon juice, then use fresh orange or meyer lemon juice. Even though classic butter noodles are made with noodle-shaped egg pastas, I decided to go for semolina bow-tie pasta for color. If you can find blue/orange/red noodles in egg pasta, go for it. I have bought this blue-black bow-tie pasta from Home Goods store. It is colored with natural squid ink and food safe blue color.
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste, extra salt needed to season pasta water)
- 1 tsp Thyme (optional)
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (golden or yellow tomatoes, halved)
- 1/2 lbs Pasta (like egg-noodles, or squid-ink colored pasta for halloween theme )
- 2 Lemon (juice of two lemons, about 4 tbsp)
- 4-6 White Bread (4-6 slices, plus small Halloween theme cookie cutters)
- Salt and Black Pepper (as per taste)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
Lemon Butter Noodles (pasta)
- 1. To make croutons, cut various shape using small cookie cutters out of slices of white bread. I dipped cutter in water once before cutting each croutons to prevent bread from tearing apart.
- 2. On a sheet pan, spread all croutons, drizzle olive on top and sprinkle some salt. Heat a pan, add croutons and cook on medium heat until toasted and brown on all sides. Season with black pepper or some paprika (if okay with some heat). Set aside.
- 3. Bring a deep pot of water to rolling boil. Season with good amount of salt. Add pasta and cook as per package direction. I cooked this pasta for 6 minutes.
- 4. While pasta is cooking, slice tomatoes to halves. Also, add squeezed lemon juice into a large pasta bowl with butter and thyme. Drain cooked pasta (reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid) and immediately to pasta bowl with lemon and butter. Mix gently to melt butter and coat pasta with silky lemon-butter sauce.
- 5. Add cherry tomatoes. Gently toss to combine. Serve immediately.
If not serving immediately, then don't add cherry tomatoes to pasta and also reserve 1/4 cup of pasta liquid. Cut and store cherry tomato separately. Just before serving, add pasta liquid as needed to loosen-up, then heat pasta in microwave for 1-2 minutes, then add cherry tomatoes and serve!