Lamb and Potatoes Stew
slow-cooked, marinated lamb and potatoes stew with mediterranean flavors
Posted By Savita
Last week had been quiet exciting! I shared few of my favorite breads, curries, and salad with you all! I am still enjoying a piece of Hawaiian Sweet Dinner Roll while typing this post.
This week, I want to dedicate to some warm and comforting stews, lite breads, plus a little bit of festivity which is MUST in fall season and approaching festivals! I am also excited to announce the first GIVEAWAY for this season this week. So keep an eye and don't forget to participate!
Here is week's first comforting Lamb and Potatoes Stew. This is one of my favorite stew early fall-winter season. Vishal loves anything but lamb and no-doubt potatoes are welcome anytime too.
This stew is invention of my lazy cooking style.... no-no, don't get me wrong, I can cook for hours when it is for Vishal or a guest or family, I am just lazy for myself... If I have an option, I won't lift a hand to cook for myself. Last week, I had very less amount of lamb in fridge and had totally no clue... what to cook for dinner... and (as usual), I...
- 1 lbs Lamb (bone-less, cubed)
- 3 tbsp Yogurt (preferred thick yogurt, such as greek yogurt or drain excess water from normal yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon (zest)
- 3 Garlic (cloves, minced or grated)
- 1/2 lbs Potatoes (2 medium potatoes, diced to 2 inch cubes)
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (thin chopped)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Tomatoes (grated 2 fresh roma tomatoes, or use canned)
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste)
- 1/4 Cup White Wine
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Powder (paprika)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives (pitted)
- 6-8 Sweet Peppers (seeds removed, sliced in half)
Spices and Yogurt Marinade for Lamb
- 1. For Yogurt-Spice Marinade, mix all marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- 2. Add cubed lamb pieces and let lamb marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour in refrigerator.
- 3. Stew - In a deep heavy bottom pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil, add marinated lamb along with all marinade and stir-fry until lamb has started to get brown (4-5 minutes). Add diced onion and paprika, saute until onions are soft (3-4 minutes)
- 4. Now, add bay leaf, tomato paste, grated fresh tomato, and sugar, then saute until oil starts to separate
- 5. Raw tomatoes should be all cooked and one-tone with rest of ingredients. At this stage, add white wine and bring to boil, then simmer for 2-3 minutes so alcohol from wine has all evaporated.
Add diced potatoes and 2 cups of water. Cover and simmer stew on low heat for 1 hour or until lamb and potatoes are tender.
Additional Notes:Slow Cooker/Oven - You can finish this step in preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or in slow-cooker for 4-5 hours.
- 7. Now, add olives, sweet peppers, salt and black pepper as per taste and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- 8. Discard the bay leaf. Serve hot with steamed rice or flat bread of your choice. Enjoy!
Paleo Notes: Skip sugar and white wine for paleo version. And also marinate lamb in lemon juice instead of yogurt.
Slow Cooker: To make this stew in slow cooker start to finish:
After marinating and browning lamb i.e. after step 3, add wine and let it cook for 3 minutes until alcohol evaporates.
2. Then, add all ingredients except olives and peppers to slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hrs.
3. In last 30 minutes i.e. 7 hrs and 30 min mark, add olives and peppers and cook another 30 mins or until lamb is tender. Serve and enjoy!