Chipotle Chicken Tikka Masala
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
Posted By Savita
Today, Indian Chicken Tikka Masala recipe gets a spicy makeover with smokey kick of chipotle. It is like enjoying two favorites in one bite - chicken tikka and chipotle chicken!! (forget pictures, I'm even drooling saying these names!) Scrumptious!
This is one of the recipe which showcase my Indian heritage and my never-ending love for Mexican flavors. However, not just because I love these two, the smokey flavor of chipotle was meant to meet Tikka Masala. In traditional cooking, spiced chicken tikka is cooked in high heat wood burning clay oven which cooks chicken fast, keeps it moist inside, and also gives signature smoky char skin. Chipotle gives that smoky flavor to tikka masala without oven. Who knew!?!
Seriously, spicy chicken tikka coated in creamy Tikka Masala sauce with hint of sweetness... You will not believe until you try it how amazingly these two compliment each other.
- 1 lbs Chicken (boneless chicken breast, cubed)
- 1 tbsp Chipotle in Adobo (1 whole pepper plus 1 tsp adobo sauce)
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder (divided)
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Lime (juice)
- 2 tsp Garam Masala (powder, divided)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil (or vegetable oil)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste (4-5 garlic plus 2" root of ginger, grated, divided)
- 2.5 Cup Tomato Puree (20 ounce can)
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tsp Sugar (adjust per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Paprika (or mild chili powder)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
Chipotle Chicken Tikka Marinade
Tikka Masala Sauce
- 1. Pre heat oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit. Add cubed chicken with chicken marinade ingredients - 1 chipotle minced with 1 tsp of sauce, 2 tbsp yogurt, 2 tbsp lime juice, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Coat the chicken in marinade, then refrigerate for at-least 30 minutes to an hour. (for even better results marinate overnight.)
- 2. For cooking Tikka Masala, Set oven to broil. Skew chicken in skewers or place on a baking tray, Broil chicken for 15 minutes, about 6-7 minutes each side or until chicken is fully cooked. Turn chicken up side down after 6 minutes to cook evenly both sides.
- 3. Tikka Masala Sauce: While chicken is cooking, melt butter in a pan. Add 1 tsp sugar and let is caramelize. (about 30 seconds). Now, add remaining 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp cumin powder, and 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste. Saute for 30 seconds. Don't let garlic burn. Now, add tomato puree with paprika, generous pinch of salt and remaining sugar with 1 cup of water. Bring to boil and then simmer for 15-18 minutes or until sauce thickens and spices release aroma in the sauce.
- 4. Add heavy cream and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- 5. Add in cooked chicken in the sauce and cook 1 more minute. Remove in a bowl, garnish with fresh chopped herbs. Serve with naan and/or rice for an Indian dinner at home.