Homemade Vegetable Stock
Posted By Savita
When you want a truly superlative meal, nothing beats the flavor of homemade stock. It is easy to make and you can keep it totally sodium free. Big two advantages of making Sodium Free stock are: first of all - Easy to add salt to your dish without worrying about salt in stock and second most important is good health. Eat controlled amount of sodium and live heart healthy. I always worried using store bought stocks due to sodium and fat contents. Also when serving vegetarian guests, I do not prefer to serve them vegetarian soups flavored with chicken broth. So in search of a healthy vegetarian flavoring for my veggie stews, I perfected this recipe of Vegetable Stock. Whenever I use this homemade stock, I find myself so happy and contended that I am serving my family a healthy alternative to soups flavored on high Sodium, High Fat stocks. So make a batch today and Happy Cooking.
Total Time: Prep Time: Cook Time:
- 1 Cup Red Onion (Or Yellow Onion)
- 1 Cup Celery (diced)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-3 Garlic (Cloves)
- 4-5 Green Onion (quatered)
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- 3-4 Thyme (Springs)
- 1 Cup Carrots (diced )
- 1. Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a 6 quart sauce pot. Add carrots, Celery, Onions, Green Onions, Cilantro, Garlic, Thyme and Bay leaf; fry for 2 minutes. This will release natural sweetness from the veggies.
- 2. Add enough water to cover (about 3 quarts); heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- 3. Remove from heat. When cool enough to handle. Strain stock through colander into large bowl; discard solids. Strain again through sieve into containers and let it cool down.
- 4. Cover and refrigerate to use within 3 days, or freeze up to 4 months. Use this light no sodium stock to flavor any soup or stew.
Savita's Notes:Always make a large batch of Veggie Stock and then freeze rest for later use.