Spring Green Pea Soup - Vegan and Gluten Free
The taste of spring in a bowl!
Posted By Savita
Sharing with a simple, yet flavorful way to eat, pick of season, fresh green peas! This velvety soup is packed with flavor and sweetness yet is low in calories and is healthy and satisfying!
Especially on a chilly day, this soup is a bowl of comfort to me!
I'm very fond of fresh green peas. Growing up, often, all kids in the house were default-labour to shell peas and we always looked forward to it! well... not that we loved working instead of playing or anything, but we loved munching peas ;) open one pod, eat 4 peas and put one in bowl :) Journey of a lot of those fresh peas finished from pods to our mouth :) .... and so on... ;) hahaha
no kidding, fresh seasonal green peas are so sweet that you really don't need to cook'em.... specially when fresh picked, spring green peas are much sweeter and tender, then they loose sweetness and get dense and more starchy as sit for long time....
- 1.5 Cup Green Peas (fresh, about 1 & half pound pods yield 1.5 cup peas)
- 4 Cup Vegetable Stock (low-sodium, or use water)
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (small diced)
- 1 Garlic (clove, fine minced)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Black Pepper (per taste)
- 2-3 Basil (leaves)
- 1-2 tsp Coconut Cream (for garnish, optional)
- 1. Heat oil in heavy bottom saute pan, add onion and saute until start to brown at edges, add minced garlic, and seasoning and cook for 30 seconds. Don't let garlic burn.
- 2. Add shelled peas, and vegetable stock. Bring mixture to boil, then reduce heat.
- 3. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until peas are cooked and have just started to change color. Remove from heat. Puree soup in food processor or blender in two-three batches, carefully as liquid will be hot.
- 4. Return soup to the pot. Add little more stock if soup looks thicker than you prefer. Heat it through. Serve garnished with bread croutons. If serving gluten free, garnish with hint of cream and fresh basil.
Soup has no gluten contents. Bread croutons only used for garnish. Don't use bread for gluten free soup.
If in hurry, you can make this soup using frozen peas, and reduce cooking to half.