Curry Masala Cauliflower Tacos
Posted By Savita
Today, I'm sharing with you delicious fusion of, two of my favorite cuisines on this earth, Indian and Mexican, with my spicy curry cauliflower Masala tacos!!
Curried Cauliflower is one of very commonly prepared, North Indian, vegetable curry in my home. You might think, I just invented the name. Actually I have, but these tacos I have eaten my whole life.
How? Good question. Let me tell you how!
Well... just a few years ago, until I found about Mexican Tacos, these were, Indian Version, called Punjabi Cauliflower (Gobi) Sabji (side dish) and Roti (Wheat flat breads) with side of sliced onion and yogurt, that's it! Sounds familiar?? Thing is, I have always loved a big splash of lemon on my Cauliflower Curry, and that's what fueled me to call'em: Tacos. Mexican Version: Corn or Wheat Tortillas, topped with curried (small, almost minced) cauliflower and peas, diced white onion, drizzle of sour cream or yogurt, some fresh cilantro, and big splash of lemon juice. And some cotija cheese (if you prefer). Pretty close!
- 1 Cauliflower (medium size chopped into small pieces)
- 2-3 Tomatoes (medium size ripe)
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (grated or chopped in food processor )
- 1" Ginger (fresh ginger, peeled)
- 2 Garlic (cloves)
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Powder (mild paprika)
- 1/2 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 3-4 tbsp Cilantro (hara dhaniya, finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil (divided)
- 1 Cup Green Peas (frozen)
- Salt and Black Pepper (as per taste)
- 6-8 Tortillas (soft shell, corn tortillas)
- 1/2 White Onion (small diced, for topping)
- Cilantro (fresh coriander leaves, for topping)
- Cotija Cheese (or mild Feat, as per taste)
- 1-2 Lemon (for serving)
Curry Masala Cauliflower
Curry Masala Tacos
Wash and dice cauliflower into small pieces. Also, grate onion and set aside. Puree tomato, ginger, and garlic and set aside.
Additional Notes:Small chopped cauliflower gets even curry coating and taste better.
- 2. Make Curry Masala - Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, fry for 1 minute. Add grated onion and fry until they turn lite brown. Now, add pureed tomatoes, ginger and garlic mixture with 1/4 teaspoon salt and then fry till tomatoes are fully cooked and oil separates ( about 7-10 minutes). 4-5 minutes into cooking, add curry powder and red pepper and then continue frying.
Add cauliflower, coat in masala with remaining 1 tbsp oil. Fry for 5 minutes on medium-high heat, then turn the gas stove to low and cook for 5-10 minutes or until cauliflower is cooked but not mushy.
Additional Notes:add 1-2 tbsp water if masala sticks to bottom of the pan.
- 4. Just before finish cooking, add frozen peas and cook for yet another 1-2 minutes. Taste and adjust salt. Mix in fresh chopped cilantro and set aside.
To Assemble Tacos: Warm tortillas shells in microwave or on gas flame until soft and ready to serve. On each taco add 2-3 tablespoon curry cauliflower, top with fresh chopped onion, cilantro, cheese, and good splash of lemon juice. Serve and enjoy.
Additional Notes:You can serve these tacos family style with toppings of the side.
If using fresh peas, add them while cooking cauliflower or blanch them in boiling water before adding to the curry.
Vegan: Curry Masala is vegan vegetarian side. If looking for vegan tacos, just skip using cream and cheese with vegan alternatives.