Lamb Rogan Josh - Indian Kashmiri Mutton(Lamb) Curry
Sharing, one of the famous Indian Lamb Curry with two easy cooking methods.
Posted By Savita
Boneless Lamb slow cooked with yogurt and traditional Indian warm spices. This lamb curry is popular by name of Mutton (lamb or goat meat) Rogan Josh, from Jammu and Kashmir region of India. Today, I'm sharing with you my take on Lamb Rogan Josh, cooked in slow cooker for an easy Indian Lamb Dinner at home! (Also including Pressure Cooker cooking instructions.)
Vishal is one lamb-fanatic in my home. Any day, he will love the dinner even MORE (with extra demand for Naan bread), if lamb curry is on the menu. If curry happens to be Lamb Rogan Josh? then I know I will have zero leftovers the next day.
You know, these days I'm on mission to convert all of my favorite Dinner Curries to slow cooker recipes. Like Slow Cooker Butter Chicken which I shared last week. Most meat curries are cooked for sometime to develop depth of flavor. Hence, slow cooker fits right in the recipe. However, In India homes, pressure cooker is used to ready every curry under 1 hour. Hence, I have included both cooking methods, in instructions, for you.
- 1.5 lbs Lamb (boneless lamb, cubed)
- 2 Potatoes (medium potato, cut in 1-1.5" cubes)
- 1 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt
- 2 tsp Degi Mirch (or 1/2 tsp cayenne + 1 tsp paprika, mixed with 2 tbsp water)
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (or shallot, very small chopped or grated)
- 3 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste (4 garlic cloves + 1 inch ginger, grated)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric (powder)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 6 Cardamom (2 whole black and 4 green cardamoms )
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Whole Dry Red Pepper (red chili,(sabut lal mirch))
- 1 Mace (Javitri) (1 blade)
Lamb Rogan Josh
Whole Spice Blend (or use 1.5 tsp Garam Masala)
- 1. Heat oil in a wide heavy bottom skillet. Add chopped onion and saute until brown (8-10 minutes).
- 2. While onions are cooking, gather all dried whole spices and mix paprika + cayenne (or degi mirch if using) in water to make chili paste.
- 3. Once onion are brown, add whole spices (or garam masala if using), ginger-garlic paste, chili pasta, coriander powder, turmeric powder and saute for 1 minute.
- 4. Now, add lamb, then saute for 2 more minute or until pink color of lamb is gone.
- 5. Lower the heat, add yogurt in 3 batches and mix well after each addition to avoid curdling. Remove from heat.
Slow Cooker Method: Transfer lamb and spice mixture to slow cooker with diced potato, 1 to **1.5 cups water, and salt. Cover the lid and cook on slow for 5 hrs or until lamb is tender.
Additional Notes:Note: It will take longer to cook larger lamb pieces. Also, Lamb cubes should be almost merged in water for proper cooking.
- 7. Pressure Cooker Method: Transfer lamb and spice mixture to pressure cooker with diced potato, 1 to **1.5 cups water, and salt. Close the lid and pressure cook for 15 minutes or until lamb is tender to your liking.
- 8. Add fresh chopped cilantro leaves into cooked lamb. Fish out whole spices if still intact. Serve with rice or traditional Indian Naan bread.