Homemade Persimmon Vanilla Ice Cream
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MadeWithA2Milk #CollectiveBias
Posted By Savita
A creamy homemade vanilla bean ice cream with chunks of sweet and ripe hachiya persimmons and California raisins. Vanilla is quintessential holiday-flavor.... So today I thought to combine seasonal gorgeous persimmons with vanilla bean to make this scrumptious holiday-dessert!
Moreover, California can’t decide if it wants to be hot or cool right now. I know!! And we are already in December! Can you believe that?! But the weather has been gorgeous last weekend, with lots of sun, perfect for a grilled dinner and a sweet finish of Persimmon Vanilla Ice Cream. yumm!! :)
If it's sunny in your part of the world or just simply because you can't say "no" to ice cream or if you addicted to enjoying lots and lots of Vanilla desserts entire holiday season.... then this homemade ice cream is perfect for you!
Just 15 minutes cooking time and few simple ingredients and you get the best tasting Ice Cream!
You know the best part?!
- 2 Persimmon (about 1 cup when chopped)
- 4 Cup Milk (such as a2 Milk®)
- 1/2 Vanilla Extract (or half scrapped Vanilla Bean)
- 2 tsp Corn Starch (mixed with 1 tbsp warm milk)
- Maraschino Cherry (for serving)
- 2 Egg(s) (large eggs, yolks only)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2-3 tbsp Raisins
- 1. In a deep sauce pan pour milk and heat until just warm.
In a wide bowl, separate egg white from egg yolks. Refrigerate egg whites to use later. Whisk egg yolks until well blended and creamy. Add 1/4 cup of warm milk at a time to egg yolks and whisk after each addition. Add 1 cup milk into egg mix in four batches.
Additional Notes:Make sure to add less milk at a time and whisk fully or egg might scramble.
- 3. Transfer the egg-milk mix into sauce pan with rest of milk and return to medium heat. Add vanilla bean, corn starch, and sugar then continue cooking on medium heat until mixture thickens and kitchen is filled with nice custard aroma. (15-18 minutes) Make sure to whisk mix for first 5 minutes to avoid any lumps.
- 4. Once custard has thickened. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Once at room temperature, remove and discard the vanilla bean (if using). Transfer the milk to a wide freezer-safe container. Freeze until semi-solid. (about 2 hours)
- 5. Once semi-frozen, remove from freezer, mix will with a spoon to break any large crystals of ice. Add raisins and chopped persimmon, then fold well. Return to freezer until fully frozen. (5 hours or overnight)
- 6. For serving, dip a ice cream scoop in warm water. Scoop the Persimmon Ice Cream into cups and serve! Enjoy!
Imp: To prepare persimmon, just peel the skin with vegetable peeler and then dice into small pieces.
Don't cut persimmon on your cutting board. Place a parchment of foil between board and persimmon or it will leave dark black marks on your board for days. Trust me, last year, I washed my cutting board for days after chopping persimmon on it. :)