Jalapeno Popper Pretzel Bites
Posted By Savita
Try stopping after just one of these Jalapeno Popper Pretzel Bites! Just try it! I bet whole bowl will be empty before you even realize it. I bet! These are so so good.
To kick-off the Sunday games or holiday family fun snack or just because you craving a bar-snack at home... these pretzel bites not only taste delicious but make a yummy presentation too. Really, these are best of both, cheesy jalapeno poppers and soft baked pretzels. Actually, I call'em bar-snack 2.0!! 2 snacks in price of one. Make it at home, and it is almost free!
Seriously, almost free!! All you need is flour, butter, yeast for making soft homemade pretzels and few pickled jalapenos and 1 cup of shredded cheese for stuffing! And you get bowl full of cheesy jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel bites! Now, imagine ordering a big platter of pretzels and jalapeno bites in a bar!
So, let's cook at home! Grab your favorite chair in front of TV and dig in!
- 2 and 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Active Dry Yeast (package)
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter (more for bushing on pretzels)
- 3-4 Jalapeno (pickled or fresh, cored and sliced to 24 round pieces)
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese (white or regular, shredded)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Milk (lukewarm)
- 1/2 Cup Water (lukewarm)
- 3 tsp Baking Soda (with 2 tsp salt, for pretzel water bath)
- 1 tsp Salt (extra for sprinkling on pretzels (you can also use pretzel salt))
- Marinara Sauce (for serving, optional)
- 1. Line two baking sheet parchment paper and set aside. In a dough mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup lukewarm water and sugar and mix well. Sprinkle yeast on top and let it bloom. (8-10 minutes)
- 2. Once yeast bloom, add in 2 cup flour, salt, melted and cooled butter, 1/2 cup milk and combine with spatula until dough comes together. Transfer to a kneading surface, add remaining flour 1-2 tbsp at a time while kneading the dough. Knead for 5 minutes to build gluten. Transfer to a buttered clean bowl, cover and set aside to rise until doubles in size. 2 hours.
- 3. Punch down the risen dough, remove on a flour dusted board and dive into 24 equal portions. Also set oven to preheat at 450 degrees. And bring a pot of water to rolling boil for pretzel bath.
- 4. Press each portion of dough to make small flat surface, fill with slice of jalapeno and a heaping teaspoon cheese. Close all sides and roll to a small tennis size ball. Set aside. Repeat with all 24 portions.
- 5. When water start boiling, add in baking soda and salt mixture and stir well. Gently drop in each pretzel ball and boil for 20 seconds. Then remove with slotted spoon onto parchment lined sheet tray. Repeat with all 24 portions.
- 6. Sprinkle ready pretzel dough balls with coarse salt or pretzel salt. Bake in preheat oven for 8-10 minutes.
- 7. Once baked, brush butter on pretzel bites and let cool slightly before serving! Serve with side of marinara and enjoy!