Savory Chickpea Flour Waffles
Savory, Health and Delicious
Posted By Savita
Savory chickpeas flour and scallion breakfast waffles, topped with a fried egg which creates a silky delicious sauce when mixed into sweet and spiced-up tomato ketchup.
This, my friends, is a savory waffle breakfast which I would not mind to enjoy for dinner as well!
We all like breakfast for dinner, don't we? Or am I the only crazy foodie here ;)
Breakfast being most important meal of the day.... we often try to start day with a good savory breakfast. Savory breakfast has this misconception of being heavy, full of fat, laden with sausage, cheese and lots of these stuff.... Well, I'm not against any of these... but savory breakfasts can be healthier yet filling and nutritious to carry on the day full and focused.
These chickpea breakfast waffles are my way of enjoying a savory breakfast without the overdose of calories yet filling and scrumptious taste. These waffles are also low in sugar (as there is no added sugar), low in fat, have a serving of whole grain chickpea flour, and hearty texture which will keep you full for a long time. Yes, I'm talking...
- 1/2 Cup Chickpea Flour (use fine ground flour only, not coarse flour)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (more for seasoning eggs)
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour (or use Whole wheat flour or all chickpea flour)
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Egg(s)
- 1-2 tbsp Cilantro (chopped)
- 2-3 tbsp Green Onion (1 scallion, green and whites chopped)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Egg(s) (pan fried, optional)
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1/4 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder (or cayenne powder)
Savory Chickpea Waffles
Spicy Tomato Ketchup
- 1. Mix all ketchup ingredients and set aside.
In a bowl, stir together all-purpose flour and chickpea flour (garbanzo flour), baking powder and salt. Add chopped scallions, cilantro and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together milk and egg until blended and frothy. Add melted butter and stir to combine. Pour this milk and butter mixture in the flour and mix in with rubber spatula until no sign of flour remains. Set aside.
Additional Notes:Just use 15-18 strokes to combine ingredients. Mixture will be lumpy.
- 3. Heat the waffle iron, pour 1/3 cup of batter in each cavity (depending upon waffle iron size), close lid and cook until indicator turns green and seam stop escaping from sides.
- 4. Remove the cooked waffles and repeat until all waffles are cooked. While waffles are cooking, heat a pan at medium heat, add eggs and let them cook while waffles get ready.
- 5. Top each plate with two waffles, one fried egg. Season egg with salt and pepper. Drizzle some spicy tomato ketchup, serve and enjoy!