Healthy Baked Eggplant Parmesan
Healthy skinny single-serve eggplant parmesan for meatless monday dinner! Baked not fried with few simple hacks to make'em crispy and crave-worthy good!
Posted By Savita
Starting week with healthier eggplant parmesan and pasta for meatless dinner! Baked to crispy perfection, and packed with punch of flavor from a delicious dredge.
Oh, and I served it with scrumptious Garlic-Herb pasta which is my take on angel-hair pesto pasta served with eggplant parmesan in Cheesecake Factory. (recipe in notes)
Before we jump into cooking Eggplant Parm, I would like to share how this recipe delivers at so many level. I mean, flavor, texture, that Italian comfort-food oomph plus light and healthier.
1. First and foremost, recipe only needs just spray of oil to bake eggplant. No frying required. (I use a simple/ordinary swap to bake crispy eggplant crust without frying. Continue reading to check how.)
2. There is no eggplant parmesan without cheese. So, yes you will need cheese, both parmesan and mozzarella. However, singe-serve baked rounds need much less cheese, almost 1/3 of what goes into eggplant parmesan casseroles.
- 2 Egg Plant Or Brinjal (2 pounds, about 2 medium eggplant, )
- 1 Egg(s)
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs (seasoned italian breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (4 ounce, sliced)
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 3-4 tbsp Basil (leaves, fresh chopped)
- Oil Spray
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 Cup Marinara Sauce (good quality marinara sauce, **homemade or store bought)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 lbs Pasta (*Garlic-Herb Angel Hair Pasta)
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices and spread on a wire rack. Season both sides with salt and leave aside for 1 hour to drain as much water as possible.
While slices draining, prepare dredge station with flour, breadcrumb and egg (with 1 tbsp milk) in three separate bowls. Season egg and flour with salt and black pepper. Don't add salt to breadcrumbs since these are already seasoned.
Additional Notes:If using plain breadcrumbs, add salt, black pepper and 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning.
- 3. Once water drained from eggplant, whip extra salt from slices and pat dry.
- 4. Add eggplant to brown bag or a container with lid, top with flour, close lid and shake well to dredge.
- 5. Dip each slice in egg wash then press on breadcrumbs and place of prepared baking sheet. Repeat this step for add flour dredged slices. Drizzle or spray oil on eggplant slices.
- 6. Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes until eggplant is crispy and brown from all sides. Turn then once halfway through cooking for even browning.
- 7. Top each slices with 2 tbsp of marinara, then with slice of cheese. Return back to oven and cook until cheese has melted (about 5 minutes).
- 8. Sprinkle basil and remaining parmesan on top and serve immediately with your choice of pasta. For garlic-herb pasta follow the recipe from notes.
*Garlic Herb Angel Hair Pasta: You will need, 1 lbs Pasta (angel hair pasta), 3 tbsp Olive Oil , 2 Garlic (cloves, grated) , 1/4 Cup Italian Parsley, 1/4 Cup Parsley, 1/4 cup Parmesan, fresh black pepper to taste.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta water. Transfer drained past aback to pan, add oil fresh grated garlic, chopped herbs, and crushed black pepper. Toss to combine. Add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and serve hot. Enjoy!
**For marinara, follow my recipe for homemade or use good quality store-bought.