Crockpot Chicken Mole
Chocolaty and aromatic Mexican Chicken Mole, all prepared in slow cooker. Served with side of amazing Spanish tomato rice!
Posted By Savita
Hole-mole, Slow Cooker Chicken Mole!! :)
When you think Mole Chicken, do you think, easy dinner cook at home? If not, then this recipe will change your idea for good! Today, I'm taking "complex" out of Mole Chicken with this easy and flavorful Crockpot Mole Chicken that needs three simple steps - blend, cook, strain!!
Oh, and fourth "serve" if you really insist. ;-)
Today, I decided to make chicken mole again. But instead of traditional simmering in pot, I dusted my trusty slow cooker.. and made an easy crockpot chicken mole!
Last time, when I made Mole Chicken Enchiladas, I saved a batch of sauce which we enjoyed for some mole tacos, another round of enchiladas and more! I wanted to cook same mole sauce with chicken in slow cooker since long... but I finally get chance last weekend.
BTW! How was your long weekend and turkey feast?!
Ask me! I was crazy busy!
- 1.5 lbs Chicken
- 2 tablet Chocolate (2.7 ounce of semi-sweet Mexican Choclate)
- 1/4 Cup Sesame Seeds
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2-3 Cloves (ground)
- 8-10 Tortilla Chips (crushed)
- 10 Almonds (blanched, or silvered)
- 1 Chipotle in Adobo
- 2 Cup Chicken Stock
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Ancho Chili
- 1. Remove seeds from ancho chilies, toast in dry heated skillet, then soak in hot water and set aside.
- 2. In same pan, add sesame seeds and toast until brown and aromatic. Add to blender jar with tomato sauce, crushed tortilla chips, ancho chili (drain water and reserve), almonds, chipotle, raisins, spices, and oregano. Add drained chili water 1-2 tbsp to facilitate blending of all ingredients.
- 3. In slow cooker pot, add sauce, sugar, chopped mexican chocolate, top with chicken and 1 cup chicken stock. Season with generous pinch or two of salt. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2.5 hours.
Once cooked, remove chicken from sauce. Strain the sauce through fine mesh to get rid of solids (any kind of seeds/spices). Return sauce back to slow cooker with 1/2 cup more chicken stock. (add stock more or less as per consistency of sauce you want.) Mix well and heat on high 20-25 minutes.
Additional Notes:You can also heat the final sauce in saute pan, on stove, in 5 minutes.
- 5. Before serving taste and adjust salt. For serving, plate rice, salsa, with mole chicken on side. Drizzle some sauce over top and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy!