Grilled Tandoori Turkey Tikka Skewers
A re-take on classic Chicken Tikka with a delicious and lean protein - Turkey, served with side of cooling mint-yogurt sauce! #TryTurkey
Posted By Savita
Today, I have added twist to classic Indian Tandoori Chicken Tikka with grilled turkey skewers Indian-style! This 10-minute prep recipe with simple to find pantry-ingredients can make Turkey, star of your next tailgating grilling!
If you like Indian cuisine, I'm sure you have had Tandooi Tikka or Tikka Masala in your favorite Indian restaurant?! With this Tikka recipe, I'm giving you option to enjoy same Indian restaurant-style tikka flavors but with your choice of protein!
When Turkey National Federation asked me to share one of my favorite protein i.e. Turkey, with you.. I just jumped at the opportunity. I'm fan of serving turkey all year round in my weekday menu. Healthier, lean and deliciously rich protein, it can be used interchangeably with chicken with little adjustment in cooking time.
In summers, weekend grilled dinners are favorite of everyone in my family. I too love grilling since it is the best way to cook protein in low-fat, quicker and yet flavorful. Plus a good does of veggies in salads or sides add nutrient value to...
- 3 tbsp Yogurt (thick yogurt, such as Greek yogurt)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste (or 4-5 garlic cloves grated and 2 inch ginger grated)
- 3 tbsp Lime (juice)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder (or cayenne)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Food Color (orange, optional)
- 1.5 lbs Turkey (I have used boneless turkey breast, cubed. Can also use turkey thighs)
- 1-2 tbsp Butter - Salted (optional, for brushing the tikka while grilling)
- 1 Bell Pepper (red or green, sliced to small squares to fit skeweres)
- 1 Red Onion (sliced to small squares to fit skeweres)
- 2-3 Lime (cut into wedges for serving)
- 1/2 Cup Mint (handful of mint leaves)
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt (thick yogurt)
- 1 tbsp Lime (juice)
- Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
Tikka Marinade for Turkey
Tikka Marinade: Mix all marinade ingredients in a wide bowl. Add cubed turkey and mix well to coat meat into the tikka marinade fully. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at-least for 30 minutes.
Additional Notes:If using wooden skewers, soak'em in water for 20-30 minutes.
- 2. Mint-Yogurt Sauce: In blender or food processor jar, add all Mint-Yogurt Sauce ingredients and process to make smooth puree. If it appears too thick, add 1-2 tbsp milk. Remove in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 3. Grilled Turkey Tikka: Preheat gas grill or indoor grill pan. Skew turkey cubes into wooden or metal skewers.
- 4. I prefer to grill veggies (bell pepper and onion separate so that veggies don't burn while I grill turkey fully.)
- 5. Grill turkey on preheated grill until fully cooked with ends little charred. For even cooking, turn skewers once or twice while grilling and brush with melted butter or olive oil.
- 6. Serve: Serve turkey skewers hot from the grill with grilled veggies, mint sauce and some grilled Indian naan! enjoy!
A good grilled tikka needs a good splash of lime or lemon! Do serve'em on side!