Vegetarian Baked Beans From Scratch
The best tasting vegetarian baked beans, cooked from scratch, still 5 minutes prep and packed with ton of flavor! No perching on stove and no re-checking cooking-liquid 10-times! Hurray!!
Posted By Savita
Sharing today, sweet, smokey and tangy, made from scratch vegetarian baked beans. These baked beans are way easier to cook than put-all-in-one-pot kind of cook-from-scratch recipes, and have ton of flavor. Above all, these are perfect to impress vegetarian guests in your next bbq party.
I had my first introduction to baked beans in one of such party. Often beans are baked with bacon and other meats such as pork. Since I don't eat pork... I could never try'em.. until one such event, my gracious host friend did her foodie friend (me).. a huge favor!! She introduced me to "baked beans" without meat!
Baked Beans, Baked Beans, Baked Beans!! This is what I was chanting whole way home!!
Ask me? How can a smokey-flavor-addict, chipotle-en-adobo-addict will not love smokey bbq baked beans?!! Not a chance!
Today, I thought I should share with you this vegetarian baked beans recipe. In my humble opinion, every bbq party should have a pot of vegetarian baked beans so everyone, vegetarian and meat-lovers, all can enjoy.
- 1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce (I have use Hickory BBQ Sauce)
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Ketchup
- 4 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Mustard (Dijon)
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder (Madras curry powder, optional, I loved it)
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1.5 Cup Pinto Beans (dried, or 5 cup cooked)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup White Onion (1 medium onion, small chopped)
- 1 Garlic (clove, minced)
Vegetarian Baked Beans
- 1. Soak pinto beans overnight.
Rinse beans under running water. In a large pot, add 6-7 cups of water for 3 cups of soaked beans. Add 1/2 tsp salt, mix well. Bring to rolling boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue boiling for 20-25 minutes or until beans are just tender.
Additional Notes:Don't over cook beans Don't rinse cooked beans. Discard cooking liquid.
- 3. Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat oil in a cast iron or oven proof skillet. Add chopped onions and garlic, and saute until softened.
- 4. When onions are soft, add all the spices and seasonings. Mix well.
- 5. Add precooked beans with 1/2 cup water or vegetarian stock. Bring to a simmer. Cover and place in preheated oven.
- 6. Bake for 1 hour or until beans are tender, creamy, dark, rich, and sauce has pancake consistency. Remove from oven and leave covered until ready to serve. Adjust salt before serving.
Beans from Scratch:
Allow at-least 10 hours of soaking. I soak'em early in evening so as to allow more time in water. Always soak in big pot with lots of water to allow space for expanding beans.
Vegan Baked Beans? This recipe can be vegan. Just use a vegan bbq sauce and ketchup. Bbq sauce/ketchup which does not use honey or animal-based products.