Laksa soup is my vegetarian take on flavorful Malaysian red-curry soup with pleasantly spicy coconut-curry broth, rice noodles, tofu and crunchy peanuts.
Posted By Savita
Starting Monday with a flavorful meatless vegetarian coconut curry soup made with Malaysian-style red curry paste called Laksa. Just like any other glorious bowl of Curry Soup, I like to eat Laksa soup loaded with zucchini simmered in creamy spicy coconut-curry broth, topped with silky rice noodles and fresh tofu.
Topped with crunchy peanuts, fresh cucumber and generous splash of lime juice... this soup is bowl-of-heaven for curry lovers!
Oh, you know the best part?! I often ready the Laksa paste over the weekend and then enjoy Laksa soup, any day of the week, in just 10 minutes! An amazingly flavorful subtle-spicy broth comes together with Laksa paste, coconut milk, vegetable stock, and splash of lime juice. That sounds easy, isn't it?
I'm sure you thinking red-curry paste and subtle spicy? I agree that red-tone curry pastes are mostly considered spicy due to use of lot of chilies... but laksa soup is not different and has flavor of chilies yet it is not that hot spicy. Actually the sweetness of coconut milk, and hint of sugar balance the spice and mak...
- 6 Whole Red Chili (dried chilies, soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes)
- 5 Garlic (cloves)
- 3 inch Ginger (peeled)
- 1 Lime (zest and juice)
- 6-8 Cashew (nuts, raw)
- 1 Thai Red Chili (fresh, or I used one red fresno chili)
- 1 tbsp Sambal Chili Paste
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (or canola oil, use per preference )
- 2 Shallot Onions (coarse chopped)
- 1 Cup Coconut milk
- 1 Zucchini (**thin sliced)
- 2 tsp Sugar (adjust per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1/4 lbs Tofu (thin sliced, mild firm tofu, drain and pat dry)
- 2 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 2-3 tbsp Lime (juice, adjust per taste)
- 1/2 lbs Rice Noodles (cooked)
- 1/2 Cucumber (thin sliced, for serving)
- Cilantro (fresh leaves, chopped)
- Lime (cut into wedges)
- 1. Make Laksa Paste: To make paste, in food processor jar, add soaked chilies (discard water in which these were soaked), and all ingredients from the Laksa Paste ingredient list above. Process until smooth pasta forms. Remove in a bowl. Paste stays good for up to one week.
- 2. Bring a pot of water to rolling boil and cook rice noodles according to package directions.
- 3. Heat a skillet. Add 1/2 of laksa paste. Saute for 1 minute to develop flavor and also to cook-off raw flavor of onion. Now, add chopped veggies, such as zucchini, (add mushroom or bell pepper if you like) and cook until just tender.
- 4. Add vegetable stock and coconut milk with 1 tsp sugar, 1 tbsp lime juice, and generous pinch of salt. Bring to boil and simmer until just started to thicken (1-2 minutes). Remove from heat. Taste broth and adjust salt, sugar and lime juice.
- 5. In four serving bowls, add serving of cooked noodles, ladle soup on top dividing equally. Top with sliced tofu, sliced cucumber, cilantro and more chilies. Serve and enjoy!