Blackened Fish Taco Salad
A healthy taco salad bowl with blackened spiced Cod fish, crunchy tortillas and amazingly delicious avocado cotija cheese dressing!
Posted By Savita
This Fish Taco Salad is loaded with fresh veggies, blackened cod fish, creamy avocado dressing, and crunchy tortillas chips. In my world, it is delightful way to enjoy fish tacos everyday.. only served in a salad bowl!
Worth a mention, the creamy avocado dressing is bursting with flavor with yummy cotija cheese, tang of lime and taco seasoning. Friends, this will be your new favorite taco salad, ever!
I love the fact that not just a side salad, taco salad actually makes a complete summer meal. Packed with protein, good fats, loaded with veggies... it will fill you up without weighing you down. Plus look at the colors, don't these remind you of happy summer season or what?
In summers, we are all about salads!
Actually, for me above line holds true whole year but summers are specially great. I love to plan few salads for weekday and prepare dressings/protein(if possible) over the weekend.
- 1 lbs Fish (cod fillets, 2-3)
- 2 tbsp Blackening Seasoning (recipe in linked page, also in notes)
- Olive Oil (for shallow frying)
- Salt (to taste)
- 3 Tomatoes (ripe red tomatoes, small diced)
- 1 Cup Kidney Beans (8 ounce cooked or canned, rinsed)
- 1/2 Red Onion (thin sliced)
- 1 Lettuce (or 2 romaine hearts, chopped)
- 1 Corn (on the cob, roasted or use steamed kernels)
- small Bunch Kale (I used baby kale, one package)
- 1 Jalapeno (thin sliced)
- Tortilla Chips (as much as you like)
- small Bunch Cilantro (fresh leaves, rough chopped)
- 1 Avocado (sliced, divided)
- 4 tbsp Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Cotija Cheese
- 4 tbsp Lime (juice)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste)
- 1/2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
Avocado Lime Cotija Cheese Dressing
- 1. To make dressing, in a food processor, combine half of avocado with cotija cheese, sour cream, 2 tbsp of lime juice, 1 tbsp taco seasoning, olive oil and generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Pulse until fine pureed. Add 1-2 tbsp water if dressing looks too thick. (adjust lime juice/salt per taste.). Remove in a bowl and set aside. Splash 1 tbsp of lime juice on remaining avocado and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, add sliced red onion, add remaining 1 tbsp of lime juice with pinch of salt. Toss and set aside.
- 3. Heat a non-stick pan with few tbsps of oil for shallow frying. Pat dry fish with paper towel. Season both sides with few pinches of salt and liberal coat of seasoning. Cook fish in skillet until crisp and flaky. I like to cook 2-3 minutes each side. Remove in a plate.
- 4. To assemble salad, add half of dressing in salad bowl. Layer all chopped veggies and beans on top. Tear fish into rough bite size pieces and top on the salad. Finish with marinated red onion, avocado and torn tortilla chips. Serve remaining dressing on side or top over the bowl. Serve and enjoy!
Blackening Seasoning for Fish:
1/2 tsp Thyme 1/2 tsp Oregano 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder 1 tbsp Kosher Salt 1 tbsp Black Pepper (freshly ground) 1/2 tsp Smoked Red Pepper 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (use 1/4 tsp if you like less spicy food) 1 tsp Onion Powder 1 tsp Garlic Powder 1/2 tbsp Red Pepper Powder (or paprika) 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder (optional)