Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Penne Pasta
This post is sponsored by Ronzoni and SheKnows Media
Posted By Savita
This season, start loving the eggplant again with this roasted eggplant and tomato penne pasta. This velvety eggplant and tomato sauce is my take on eggplant caponata served with pasta for a healthy and gluten free weeknight dinner.
For me, finishing the day with a bowl of homemade, flavorful, and healthier bowl of dinner means completing the day on a good note. Dinners such as this this bowl of pasta bring to the table a good serving of veggies, whole grain gluten free pasta and ton of flavor from roasted silky eggplant, juicy tomatoes, capers, garlic, parmesan and fresh basil.
Does it sound like a winner meatless dinner or what?
I know you are with me! So, let's get cooking!
As much as my family loves pasta dinners, they are not big fans of eggplant. On the other hand, I grew up eating eggplant and love it. So, when I crave eggplant, I like to add some delicious twist to recipe so everyone will enjoy. The only way Vishal likes to eat eggplant is when it is roasted.
- 1 Egg Plant Or Brinjal (peeled, diced )
- 1 lbs Pasta (pasta such as gluten free penne)
- 1/2 Cup Basil (small chopped)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 4 Tomatoes (medium, ripe tomatoes, small rough chopped)
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (small chopped)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2. Spread diced eggplant and tomatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tbsp oil, generous sprinkle of salt and black pepper. Bake in preheat oven for 25-30 minutes or until eggplant is roasted. Toss roasting eggplant with spatula once half-way through cooking.
While eggplant roasting, cook pasta according to package directions. I like bring a pot of water to rolling boil, then season with salt for extra flavor. Drop in pasta and cook until aldente. Once done, drain and set aside.
Additional Notes:Reserve a little bit of pasta water to refresh the pasta (if serving later)
- 4. When eggplant is about roasted, heat remaining tbsp of oil in a wide skillet. Add minced garlic and chopped onion and saute until soft. (2-3 minutes.) Add capers, tomato paste, oregano, chili flakes and cook for 1 more minute.
- 5. Add roasted eggplant and tomato mixture into the pan with half of basil and mix well.
- 6. Add drained pasta, parmesan cheese. Toss well to combine, continue cooking for 30 seconds to marry the flavors with pasta.
- 7. Remove from heat, add remaining chopped basil, more Parmesan if like and serve immediately.
Some Tips for Cooking Perfect Pasta Every time:
Always cook pasta per package directions. Make sure to use the labeled amount of water and stir frequently. To ensure good taste and texture, be sure to use enough water when boiling pasta and to rinse with warm water after draining.
Always reserve pasta water after draining cooked pasta. You can even bring day-old pasta to life with a few tablespoons of pasta water without compromising the flavor of sauce.