Eggplant Parmesan Casserole
An Italian classic comfort food done right! Baked crispy eggplant layered with all-you-want-in Eggplant Parmesan toppings and bubbling cheese.
Posted By Savita
Eggplant Parmesan Lasagna or Casserole is an Italian comfort dish made with layers of breaded eggplant slices, marinara sauce, basil, mozzarella and parmesan cheese, and then baked until cheese has melted and bubbly.
Honestly, this casserole is my rendezvous with comfort food. To take lots of oil and fat out of this classic casserole.. I like to use baked breaded eggplant slices instead of fried. Few weeks ago when I shared single-serve Skinny Eggplant Parmesan.. I used one part of the eggplant slices to layer in casserole.. Those I baked on a later day for weeknight meal and my family just loved it.
So, I thought why not I share this delicious idea with you too.
Honestly, I'm no Italian but this is how I got introduced to eggplant parm. Long ago, our friend recommended us to eat in a family-run Italian restaurant and I ordered eggplant parm (as usual). This is how the dish came from the kitchen. Cut out part of a casserole (not single serves) just like lasagna with thick layer of melted mozzarella and generous dusting of parmesan cheese.
- 2 Egg Plant Or Brinjal (2 pounds, about 2 medium eggplant, )
- 1 Egg(s)
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs (seasoned italian breadcrumbs)
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (8 ounce, sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Basil (leaves, fresh chopped)
- Oil Spray
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 2 Cup Marinara Sauce (good quality marinara sauce, **homemade or store bought)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices and spread on a wire rack. Season both sides with salt and leave aside for 1 hour to drain as much water as possible.
While slices draining, prepare dredge station with flour, breadcrumb and egg (with 1 tbsp milk) in three separate bowls. Season egg and flour with salt and black pepper. Don't add salt to breadcrumbs since these are already seasoned.
Additional Notes:If using plain breadcrumbs, add salt, black pepper and 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning.
- 3. Once water drained from eggplant, whip extra salt from slices and pat dry.
- 4. Add eggplant to brown bag or a container with lid, top with flour, close lid and shake well to dredge.
- 5. Dip each slice in egg wash then press on breadcrumbs and place of prepared baking sheet. Repeat this step for add flour dredged slices. Drizzle or spray oil on eggplant slices.
- 6. Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes until eggplant is crispy and brown from all sides. Turn then once halfway through cooking for even browning. Once ready, place baked eggplant on wire rack until it is cool to touch.
- 7. To assemble casserole, spread 2-3 tbsp marinara sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Top with 1/2 slices of eggplant, followed by half of slices mozzarella, half of parmesan, and 1/2 cup of marinara.
- 8. Top with more layer of each eggplant, parmesan, mozzarella, basil and marinara. finishing with marinara. Bake in preheated oven at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbling.
- 9. Once ready, leave aside for 5-10 minutes for layers to set. Slice and serve with your choice of pasta. Enjoy!