Baked Italian Turkey Meatballs
An easy, flavorful, and crowd-pleasing appetizer where everyone's favorite - turkey, is the star!
Posted By Savita
Continuing the theme of holiday entertaining with these Italian-style Turkey Meatballs. With flavor of parmesan cheese, subtle hint of chili flakes, and simmering in marinara sauce for a perfect Italian taste.. no guest will be able to resist second servings!
Yes, friends! These meatballs are real deal - moist, flavorful and above all, are baked, not fried!
Whenever possible I choose baking over frying. Honestly, there are so many merits of baking. It not only keeps food healthier and less greasy but also, a big batch is ready much faster. Plus, even cooking with crispy outside yet moist inside is pure bonus!
You know what?! When there are guests coming over.. the time baking saves can be life-saver!
I like to even freeze a batch of meatballs... This helps me getting more prepared and less messy on the holidays/parties. (check meatball freeze instructions in the notes).
Look at the this one tray of baked meatballs! All of these and one more batch were ready in one round of baking.
- 1 lbs Turkey (ground thigh meat, 80-20 )
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese (grated, more for serving)
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 Shallot Onions
- 2 Garlic (cloves)
- 1/4 Cup Parsley
- 1 Egg(s)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Oil Spray
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
- 4 Cup Marinara Sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-3 tbsp Parsley (fresh leaves)
- 1 Garlic (clove, minced)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1. Set oven to preheat at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- 2. In a wide bowl, add breadcrumbs and milk. Mix and set aside.
- 3. In a food processor, add onion, garlic and parsley and pulse until fine chopped. Remove in a bowl, add one egg.
- 4. Add cheese and chili flakes with salt and black pepper. Mix everything.
Add ground turkey and mix to distribute the seasonings. Scoop mixture with 1 and 1/2 inch ice-cream scoop and place on baking sheet. 1 lb turkey yields 25-28 meatballs.
Additional Notes:For nicer presentation, shape the meatballs with wet spoon after scooping.
- 6. Bake meatballs in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes until center is no longer pink and meatballs are slightly brown from outside.
- 7. For sauce, heat oil in a sauce pan. Add garlic and let it perfume oil for 30 secs. Don't let it burn. Now, add marinara sauce and seasonings then cook for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock, mix well, add meatballs. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until meatballs are heated through with sauce.
- 8. Transfer meatballs into serving platter. Scoop the sauce into a bowl. Garnish meatballs with chopped parsley and parmesan cheese. Serve hot and enjoy.
To freeze meatballs, I roll all of them at once. I place them spaced-apart on sheet tray lined with parchment. Once all are rolled, I place one sheet tray with remaining meatballs in freezer. In 2-3 hours, meatballs become snow cubes. Then, I put them in ziploc bag and freeze for later use.