Easy Homemade Thai Red Curry
A spicy Red Thai Chicken Curry with homemade curry paste and homemade spice mix.
Posted By Savita
Easy Thai Red Curry dinner with homemade Thai Red Curry Paste. Flavored with sweetness of coconut and dry spices, this Thai curry is a versatile sauce which will make any protein or veggie taste scrumptious! Today, I made Thai Chicken Curry but really you can use any protein or veggies you prefer. Tofu, tempeh, veggies-only, or even seafood will taste delicious in this spiced coconut curry sauce. Gluten Free and Dairy Free. If you choose a veggie protein, it can also be Vegan.
Oh, and don't forget to read notes on how to use this recipe. The paste for this recipe is "Mother Red Curry Paste". It can be used to make many variations. The preparation you see in pictures and in directions is spicy version which is often referred as "Panag Curry" in Thai cuisine.
I had one goal behind working on this fully homemade Thai red curry recipe:
- 8-10 Thai Red Chili (dried, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes)
- 1/4 Cup Shallot Onions
- 2 inch Ginger
- 1/4 Cup Garlic (cloves, or one medium head, peeled)
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro (stems only)
- 4 Thai Red Chili (fresh, or use 1-2 red jalapeno, or fresno chilies)
- 2 Lemon Grass (pale yellow portion only)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Lime (juice)
- 1-1.5 lbs Chicken (boneless and skinless chicken thigh, small diced)
- 1 Cup Coconut milk (8 ounce can of lite coconut milk)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (small diced)
- 1 Cup Corn (baby corn)
- 3-4 Green Onion (sliced)
- 2 tbsp Lime (juice, adjust per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar (adjust per taste)
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 10-15 Black Pepper (whole peppercorns or 1/2 tsp dry)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
Red Thai Curry Paste
Thai Curry Chicken
- 1. Combine 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp coriander, and 1/2 tsp cumin. Dry roast for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant but not burnt. Grind to powder. Set aside.
- 2. In food processor jar, add rest of ingredients for Thai curry paste including re-hydrated chilies and process to make paste. Remove in a bowl, set aside.
For Thai Curry Chicken: In a pan, add 1 tbsp oil, 1/3 cup curry paste, 1/4 cup coconut milk, with 1 tsp spice powder mix (made in step 1), 1/2 tsp salt and small diced chicken. Saute until oil comes on side and chicken is cooked through.. 7-8 minutes
Additional Notes:1/3 cup paste has good heat. If you like mild, add 1/4 cup.
- 4. This is how it looks after saute. Now, add diced veggies, lemon grass green part, and continue saute for 1 more minute. Then add remaining 3/4 cup coconut milk, sugar, and 1/2 cup water. Simmer for 5 minutes or until gravy thickens to your liking.
- 5. Fish out and discard lemongrass. Add 1/4 tsp more salt and 1 tbsp lime juice. Mix well. (Adjust both per taste)
Thai curry paste recipe yields about 1 cup paste. I have used 1/3 cup for 1 pound chicken which is good to serve 2-3. You can add more or less per taste. Paste recipe is good for making three times. And so is the spice powder.
Easy to Find Ingredient Replacement1) If you can't find lemongrass? Use zest of one lime and 1-2 tsp lime juice for refreshing lime flavor.
2) If can't find Thai red chili? Use any good quality dry red whole chilies.
3) If you can't find fresh Thai red chilies? Use any hot red chili variety such as Fresno chili or even red bell pepper. If chili you using is not very hot, use more of dry red chilies.