Vegan Asparagus Soup
Vegan, gluten free, and creamy fresh Asparagus Soup without creams.
Posted By Savita
Creamy Asparagus Soup with a subtle spicy kick, prepared with fresh asparagus, sweet leeks, spinach and no creams... and Thai-style flavors of fresh ginger, chili, garlic, cilantro, lemon, and coconut milk.. Plus can't beat the tangy-spicy finish with kimchi.. with bonus of gut-friendly pro-biotics. Gluten free, vegan, also Whole30 diet friendly.
I must add that this mighty-bowl soup is not just healthy but also filling and PERFECT meal for this season of fresh spring mornings and still cold breezy nights.
Above all, it is an easy asparagus soup recipe which comes together super fast! Just in 20-25 mins.
I call such quick fixes a perfect weekday dinner! Easy, fast, delicious, and healthy too!
Asparagus + vegan + kimchi + Asian ingredients is not first time in my kitchen. This soup is inspired from one my old Pan Sauted Kimchi Asparagus recipe.
Why Asparagus Soup?
You guys! Asparagus is must-have in month of April!
Don't you think?
- 1 Bunch Asparagus (about 1.5 pound, end trimmed)
- 1 Cup Coconut milk (8 ounce can of lite coconut milk, use more per preference )
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes (adjust per taste)
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice, adjust per taste)
- Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste)
- 1/2 Cup Kimchi (vegan kimchi, for serving, optional)
- 4 Cup Vegetable Stock (prefer homemade)
- Kosher Salt (per taste)
- 1 tsp Garlic ( about 2 cloves, minced)
- 2 Cup Spinach (fresh leaves, chopped)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Leek (white part, thin sliced)
- 1 inch Ginger (peeled and rough chopped)
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro (or parsley, fresh leaves)
- 1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom pot. Add chopped leeks, garlic, chili flakes, ginger, and thyme. On medium heat, saute until leeks are soft (4-5 minutes) Don't let garlic burn.
- 2. Add rough chopped asparagus with 1/4 tsp of salt and saute for 1 minute. Then add chopped spinach, 1 cup water and 4 cup vegetable stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook for 8-10 minutes or until asparagus is soft.
- 3. Add chopped cilantro, lemon juice. Using immersion blender or stand mixer, puree soup in 2-3 batches. Return soup to pot (heat on), add coconut milk and mix well. Taste and adjust salt (I added about 1/2 tsp salt). Add black pepper to taste.
- 4. Serve immediately with garnish of kimchi and asparagus shoots. Drizzle remaining olive oil and black pepper before serving (optional). Enjoy!