Esquites - Mexican Corn Salad
Posted By Savita
Esquites, The Mexican Corn Salad is a sweet and spicy roasted corn salad which showcase two things - bold Mexican flavors and simplicity of ingredients. Pleasantly spicy, smokey, and perfect combination of sweet and sour.. Esquites is MUST try salad at-least once in lifetime.
Esquites is three-in-one recipe. It is a zippy corn salad, an amazing side to grilled dinner. It also a salsa with everything you want to top on spicy chicken taco. I also love enjoying it with chips. This weekend's BBQ or 4th of July, I highly recommend serving esquites. Your guests will fall in love with it.
Let's make Esquites Mexicanos! Shall we?
Oh, before you read on, I must tell you that this week is all Mexican food. Please don't forget to save some of esquites because next recipe love a side of corn salad!
...on a second thought, you can actually eat it all, and make more later!
Fact one, esquites is super easy to put together.
Fact two, it is hard to stop at one serving!
- 3 Corn (ears)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- Sour Cream (or Mexican Creama, about a cup or per preference)
- 2 Green Onion (only green part, thin sliced)
- Olive Oil (about a tablespoon or melted butter, for roasting corn)
- 3 Tomatoes (roma tomatoes, small diced)
- Cilantro (small bunch, chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (small diced)
- 1 Jalapeno (de-seeded, minced)
- 2 Lime (juice of one and half, rest cut into small pieces)
Esquites - Corn Salad
Pico De Gayo
- 1. Brush corn ears with oil (or melted butter if using). Roast on open grill flame until nicely charred and blistered from all sides. Knife through corn ears to remove kernels. Mix in half of cumin powder, 1/4 tsp of salt, 2 tablespoon of lime juice. Toss well. Set aside.
- 2. In meantime, mix pico de gayo ingredients - diced tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion and cilantro in a bowl. Mix in 1-2 tablespoon of lime juice and generous 2 pinches of salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 3. To assemble corn salad, in a salad platter, add roasted corn kernels. Top with pico de gayo, sliced scallions, remaining cumin powder, black pepper powder, chili powder, and drizzle sour cream on top. Serve and enjoy! Serve lime/lemon wedges on the side for extra kick.