Grilled Greek Chicken kabobs marinated in flavorful oregano, garlic marinade, served with side of grilled pita!
Posted By Savita
Chicken Souvlaki is Greek chicken kabobs marinated in fresh herb oregano (my fav), garlic, lemon, olive oil and seasonings. So simple, but amazingly flavorful chicken kabobs, Chicken Souvlaki is must try for every Mediterranean food lover! *Gluten free, carb-free, low-fat, paleo, and whole-30 diet friendly.
So today I thought to give you another favorite to include in your Summer BBQ menu!
Oh, and no worries if you not looking to grill. I have included instructions to prepare chicken souvlaki kabobs in oven! With just 10 minutes prep and pantry staples, this Greek chicken main course is much easier to prepare at home than you might imagine.
So, let's cook some chicken sooov-lah-kee! Shall we?
Just like most Greek chicken recipes, herbs and spices are heart of Chicken souvlaki. Being a spice and herbs fanatic, this chicken preparation won me over for my love of oregano. I came across oregano chicken (first time) in a Mexican restaurant... (I know! What are the odds?!)
- 1.5 lbs Chicken (3-4 boneless breast or 12-14 chicken tenders)
- 3 tbsp Oregano (fresh leaves, or 1.5 tbsp dried, or mix half-half)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (about 4-5 garlic cloves, fresh minced)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Lemon (juice, about 1 large lemon's juice)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tbsp Parsley (fresh leaves, chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper (freshly cracked)
- Oil Spray
- Pita Bread
Grilled Pita, for Serving
- 1. In a wide bowl (with a lid) or in seal-able bag, add all ingredients except chicken in the ingredient list above. Mix well and set aside.
Slice chicken breast into small 1-2 inch pieces. Add to the marinade and coat into the marinade. Cover with lid (or close the bag), refrigerate until ready to use. Marinating for 20-30 minutes tenderize the meat and makes it very flavorful. You can marinate it up-to overnight.
Additional Notes:You can also use chicken tenders or cut chicken breast into small strips (2 inch long, 1-2 inch wide), place on a tray. Top with piece of plastic wrap, then pound a bit to make even size.
For grilling, preheat grill. Skew pieces of marinated chicken souvlaki into the skewers. I **skewed about 4-5 long tenders per skewer. Grill on preheated grill until chicken is fully cooked from all sides.
Additional Notes:If cooking in oven, check **Oven Method in notes.
- 4. If serving grilled pita on side, spray oil on grill pita bread until nice grill marks appear on both sides (30 sec to 1 minute each side). Serve on side with Chicken Souvlaki! Serve and enjoy!
Leave a little space towards handle of skewers for proper handling on grill.
If using wooden skewers, pre soak them in water so that these not burn quickly on grill. I also cover tips of skewers with aluminum foil to avoid burning while grilling.
Chicken Souvlaki in oven To prepare in oven, preheat oven, place skewers on sheet lined with foil/parchment. Set broiler on, cook 5-7 minutes each side or until kabobs are fully cooked.