Potato Chickpea Salad - Aloo Chana Chaat
Posted By Savita
Potato and Chickpea Salad with sweet, sour, and spicy tamarind dressing. Famous by name of Aloo Chana Chaat or Aloo Chole Chaat, this potato chickpea salad is bursting with flavor of Indian spices and a must try at-least once in life. Ready in just 20 minutes, it is also gluten free, vegan, and loaded with veggie-protein.
The best thing about this earthy chickpea salad? It is more than just a side salad and can be served many ways! As a side salad, complete lunch salad, or a chickpea-potato naan wrap, or an appetizer dip with side of chips. My favorite being a salad, and leftovers as naan wrap topped with crunchy red onions, and splash of lime juice. Scrumptious!
So, let's make some spicy, sweet, tangy, lip-smacking Aloo Chana Chaat?!
Aloo Chana chaat is popular Indian street food. If you are new to this name? Potato is aloo and chickpeas are chana in hindi and chole in Punjabi (my native regional Indian language). This recipe mimics the same taste of street aloo chole. In-fact, naan wrap is not my idea. To...
- 3 Cup Chickpeas (cooked, or 24 ounce can of low sodium chickpeas, drained )
- 1 lbs Potatoes (boiled, peeled and small diced)
- 1.5 tbsp Tamarind (paste, mixed with 1/3 cup hot water)
- Lemon (juice of a lemon or lime, more wedges for serving )
- Red Onion (1 medium, about 1 cup when small diced)
- Bunch Cilantro (fresh leaves, chopped )
- Jalapeno (one large or two small, minced, seeds discarded )
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- Chili Powder (about 1/2 teaspoon of medium hot paprika/cayenne, adjust per taste )
- 1/2 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 2 tbsp Sugar (adjust per taste)
- 1. Boil potatoes until knife tender. When slightly cool, peel and dice. Mix tamarind paste with sugar and hot water until fully dissolved and set aside.
- 2. In a salad bowl, add cooked chickpeas (rinsed if using canned) and boiled diced potatoes. Add 3/4 cup of diced red onion, jalapeno ( green chili), and half of chopped cilantro (coriander) leaves.
- 3. Top with all spices, salt, lemon juice and 4-5 tablespoons of tamarind mixture. Mix well. **Taste and adjust salt, tamarind, and chili powder. Garnish with remaining chopped red onion and cilantro leaves. *Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*This Chickpea Potato salad can be served chilled, or at room temperature.
**Always make sure to taste and adjust seasoning in this salad. The need for salt, tamarind, or sweetness may vary by taste.