Green Chili - Chicken Chili Verde
Posted By Savita
Chicken Chile Verde, or Green Chili as I prefer to call it is a tangy and hearty chicken and white beans stew which gets it's signature green color from green tomatillos. With warmth of spices, heat of chilies, creamy beans and moist chicken.. this Green Chili Recipe will be your perfect companion on a Chilly Night! Gluten free, and can also be dairy-free if you don't serve with yogurt/cream.
Since first time I made it for Vishal, I'm often asked to include this recipe in our weekly dinner menu. The secret to my recipe and delicious flavors is Roasted tomatillos! I take a few extra minutes and roast tomatillos and chilies on open flame/broiler. This makes tomatillos sweeter and improves the flavor of chilies. Plus the natural smokey flavor it gives to the chili is simply irresistible.
Oh, before we head to the recipe.. I must tell you that this recipe can be easily made in slow cooker. In-fact, I have included the instructions in notes for how to make Chicken Chile Verde in Slow Cooker! So, next time you crave for a Chicken Chile Verde dinner? Don't...
- 1 lbs Tomatillo (husk removed)
- 1 lbs Chicken (**boneless skinless chicken thigh, cut into small pieces)
- 1 Cup Cannellini Beans (8 ounce can of low-sodium white beans)
- 1 Poblano Pepper
- 1 Jalapeno
- 2 Lime (juice of one, wedges of one for serving )
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder (toasted seeds and ground)
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (or white onion, small diced)
- 4-5 tsp Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Potatoes (yellow, medium, peeled and small diced, optional)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Bunch Cilantro (fresh small bunch)
- 4 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1. Remove husk of tomatillos. Roast tomatillos and chilies on open flame until nicely charred from all sides. Put chilies in a plastic bag (or container with lid) and let sweat. Once cooled, scrape off skin as much as possible, and remove seeds. Rough dice and add chilies, tomatillos, cilantro stems and half of leaves into food processor. Process until puréed. Set aside.
- 2. Heat oil in a heavy bottom deep pan. Add onion and garlic with bay leaf. Sauté until onions are soft. (3-4 minutes)
- 3. Add diced chicken, season with salt and black pepper with cumin power, oregano and sauté until chicken no longer pink and spices are fragrant. (2-3 minutes)
Add puréed tomatillos-chilies mixture with 1/2 tsp of salt, diced potatoes (if using) with chicken stock. Mix well, bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until liquid has reduced, chili thickened, potatoes and chicken are fully cooked and tender. Remove and discard bay leaf. Taste and adjust lime juice and salt.
Additional Notes:If you used bone-in chicken thighs, remove, shred the meat add back in, discard bones.
- 5. To serve, laddle soup into serving bowls, add fresh cilantro, dollop of sour cream or yogurt. Serve lime wedges and tortillas chips on side. Enjoy!
To make chili broth more flavorful, but 1-2 pieces extra of bone-in chicken thighs. Saute these with rest of chicken and simmer in broth. After chili verde is cooked, fish out bones, shred meat, put back into chili. Discard bones.
Chicken Chile Verde in Slow CookerChicken Chili Verde in slow cooker, follow steps 1 or use pre-roasted can of tomatiolls. Saute onions and garlic in a pan with some oil. Transfer chicken, spices, cooked onion-garlic mixture to slow cooker pot along with beans, potatoes, tomatiolls sauce. Cook on high for 2.5 hours or on low for 5 hours until chicken is fully cooked and tender. Garnish, serve and enjoy!