Posted By Savita
The vibrant and flavorful, ultimate spiced smokey chicken fajitas seasoned with homemade fajita seasoning, served with caramelized peppers and onions, and side of Esquites! A healthy and delicious summer dinner in matter of minutes. Gluten free, and whole-30 diet friendly.
We are often grilling on summer weekends. So, chicken for my spiced chicken fajitas is often grilled liked kabobs. If I have a gathering, I make lots of small skewers and put on grill. This way everyone can grab a few skewers, sauted pepper-onions, tortillas and toppings! It is like, make-your-own chicken fajitas!
Oh, and even though picture shows grilled chicken fajita kabobs... I have shared both ways to cook. You can either grill and saute peppers on the side, on the grill. Or can also cook chicken in the cast iron pan. (details ahead)
So, what do you say? Let's make some Chicken fajita!
This week has been healthy Mexican food week on CDH. Don't you think?
- 8-10 Tortillas (for serving)
- 2 tbsp Seasoning (medium fajita seasoning, homemade recipe link in notes)
- 2 lbs Chicken (breast thin sliced, or 15-18 tenders)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-3 Lime (juice of 1-2 lime, about 2 tablespoon, more wedges for serving)
- Salt (adjust per taste, I add 1/2 teaspoon)
- Bell Pepper (2-3 three medium, I used one red and one green, cored and sliced)
- Yellow Onion (medium size, peeled and thin sliced)
- 2-3 Tomatoes (quartered, optional)
- Salsa (or **esquites, for serving)
Fajita Marinated Chicken
- 1. In a seal-able bag, mix fajita marinate ingredients - lime juice, olive oil, 1.2 teaspoon salt, and 1.5 tablespoon of fajita seasoning.
Add chicken pieces, seal. Massage bag to distribute seasoning on to the chicken. Make sure all pieces are well coated in marinate. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Additional Notes:Marination does not have to be long. However, I recommend 20-30 minutes. You can marinate chicken for fajita up to 24 hours in advance.
- 3. Once ready to grill, preheat grill. Skew marinated chicken onto skewers. Grill on medium heat until chicken is fully cooked.
- 4. While chicken grills, heat a heavy bottom pan. Spread onions and peppers in single layer seasoned with remaining seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Let veggies caramelize, turn and cook other side. Don't let veggies get mushy. These should just be crisp tender. Remove from heat and keep warm while chicken gets ready.
- 5. Serve on side to make your own chicken fajitas. Serve warmed tortillas and salsa on side with lots of lime wedges. Splash lime juice on fajitas before eating. Enjoy!