Emerald Kale Broccoli Salad
Posted By Savita
This Emerald Kale and Broccoli Salad is refreshing, sweet and sour, with crunch of superfood kale, broccoli, blanched almonds and sweet cranberries. Gluten free, vegan, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
Also, sharing two ways you can prepare and serve this Kale Broccoli Salad. Plus a mighty versatile Salad Dressing which you can use many ways - as salad dressing, cold noodle dressing, and even as a marinade!
So, let's make some Emerald Kale Salad! Shall we?!
What does Emerald Kale Salad means?
Well, when I first ate this salad in an Asian eatery.. I did not know why is it an Emerald salad. I then found same salad in Whole Foods Market but yet no clue why Emerald. Even though not sure of name, I connected with the refreshing Sesame-Soy dressing flavor. This dressing is by far one of my favorite Asian dressing. I don't think I can count how many salads I have shared with variation of this quintessential Emerald Kale Salad Dressing.
- 1 Bunch Kale (dino kale, ribs removed, chopped)
- 1 Head Broccoli (washed)
- 1/2 Cup Almonds (blanched or silvered)
- 1/3 Cup Cranberries
- Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Apple (juice, not from concentrate, prefer unsweetened or juice a fresh apple)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 Whole Red Chili (such as Fresno or fresh thai chili, minced, optional)
- Black Pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce (Gluten Free Tamari)
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1. (Skip this step for raw salad) Bring a pot of water to rolling boil. Fill a wide bowl with ice and water and set aside. **Boil broccoli and kale (separately) in boiling water until these are just cooked not mushy. Transfer to ice batch to stop cooking. Once cod to touch, transfer to a plate lined with towel to soak extra water. Set aside.
- 2. Dressing: Combine dressing ingredients in a small jar with lid. Shake well to mix everything. Taste and adjust salt/sweetness with some honey (if needed). Set aside.
- 3. Add greens in a salad bowl, pour 3/4 of dressing, toss well. Refrigerate until ready to use. Garnish with almonds, cranberries, sesame seeds and remaining dressing just before serving. Enjoy!