French Onion Stuffed Mushrooms
Flavorful caramelized sweet onions, cheese, nutmeg - all you want from comforting French Onion Soup stuffed in meaty meatless Stuffed mushrooms!
Posted By Savita
It is officially last week of summer and I already welcomed fall last week. LOL! I guess I'm the eager one! Actually, Fall Season starts on 22nd September 2017. We have forecast of rain and thunderstorm for whole week... So, I felt these cozy stuffed mushrooms caps with hint of nutmeg will be perfect to serve on side for dinner! Gluten free and Meatless.
Stuffed Baked Mushrooms are comfort food which make great appetizer, snack, or even dinner side. I decided to make'em vegetarian, no meat no eggs. But I cheated a little bit by giving these a creamy slow-roasted meat kind-a flavor.. stuffing of cheese, herbs, and sweet caramelized onions.
This sweet onion base recipe is everything you want in French Onion soup. Sweet caramelized onions, and hint of warm spice topped with a cheese crouton! Does it sound like a perfect, humble French Onion soup or what?!
I captured all of this, including cheese and stuffed it in giant white button mushroom caps! My flavorful addition of some cream, black pepper and fresh thyme made these cheesy stuffed mushrooms totally a...
- 1 Yellow Onion (large, thin sliced)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 5 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (or 2 cheese blend, shredded )
- Salt and Black Pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp Thyme (8-10 fresh sprigs)
- Oil Spray (or oil for brushing on mushrooms )
- 12 Mushrooms (large stuffer white mushrooms)
- 1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large pan, add sliced onions with sprinkle of sugar and generous pinch of salt.
- 2. Cook on low until onions start to caramelize and mostly turn amber brown. 10-15 minutes. Add cream, nutmeg (if using) and mix well, remove from heat. Fold in thyme, set aside.
- 3. Clean mushrooms, remove stems. Brush or spray with oil. Sprinkle salt and black pepper.
- 4. Mix cheese with onion mixture and stuff a generous tablespoon in each mushrooms. Place on sheet tray, bake for 20-25 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through and stuffing is bubbling.
- 5. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving!
Baking Mushrooms: If you are ever unsure how long mushrooms will take to bake without burning the stuffing or cheese? I recommend par baking the mushrooms for 10 minutes without stuffing. Then fill in stuffing and continue baking until cheese is bubbling and mushrooms are cooked to your liking.