Sweet and Spicy Apple Chutney. Gluten free, vegan. Needs only 5 minutes prep.
Posted By Savita
Apple Chutney - Sweet and spicy chutney with fresh Granny Smith apples, sweet leeks, ginger, chilies and spices. Great on breakfast toast, or with a festive dinner.. This sweet and spicy condiment is must try once in lifetime. It is also Gluten free and vegan.
Whenever apples are in season, a batch of spicy apple chutney is always in my refrigerator. It needs only 5 minutes of prep to put together a batch. And it last more than 2 weeks in refrigerator. What else would I ask of a homemade, fall-favorite, sweet-spicy condiment?!
You know I'm a savory person and love fresh fruits even in desserts. Honestly, seasonal fruits, such as Apples in fall, make great sweet addition to savoury dishes. Like this apple chutney tastes delicious with holiday rs, sandwiches, or just simply spread on a breakfast butter toast with cup of tea on a lazy Saturday morning. (one of my favorite indeed).
- 2 Apple (granny smith)
- 1 Leek
- 3/4 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Serrano pepper (seeds removed, minced)
- 4 tbsp Raisins (I used combination of golden and cranberries)
- 5-6 Thyme (sprigs, tied)
- 1 tbsp Ginger (peeled, minced)
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar (lite)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 6-8 Black Pepper (peppercorns )
- 1. Core apples, peel and dice. Thin slice yellow part of leeks. (keep green part to make stock later). In a wide heavy bottom pot, add all ingredients
- 2. Cook for 20-25 minutes until apples are soft and liquid has almost evaporated. Fix out thyme bundle.
- 3. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate in airtight container and keep for up-to 2 weeks. Freeze for life of 6 months.