Vegetarian Mulligatawny Soup
Healthy and nourishing Sweet Potato, Lentils, and Chickpeas Mulligatawny Curry Soup!
Posted By Savita
Starting Monday with vegetarian curry soup, famous by name Mulligatawny Soup all over the world. This soup has Indian-European origin and is more popular outside India.
Even though popular outside India, anyone who loves Indian flavor will immediately connect with this soup. Curry powder, lentils, garam masala, coconut milk, turmeric are some of quintessential flavors that shines through this soup and make it bursting with Indian flavors.
Mulligatawny Soup is known more as a Chicken soup with chicken cooked in rich coconut curry broth... but I was in mood of a chunky, filling, protein-rich but vegetarian soup. So I created Chickpea Mulligatawny Soup with lots of vegetables - sweet potatoes, carrot, leek, and star of the show - Green Apple.
This Mulligatawny Soup is vegan, gluten free, and protein-packed. With apple, coconut milk, turmeric, lentils, and sweet potatoes.. it is also a nourishing healthy soup.
So, let's not wait! Make some Mulligatawny Soup!
- 1/3 Cup Pink Lentils (washed)
- 1 Sweet Potato (peeled, small diced)
- 1 Apple (green ganny smith)
- 1.5 Cup Chickpeas (cooked, 10 ounce can, rinsed)
- 8 Oz Coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 3 Curry Leaf
- 1 Cup Mix Vegetables (yellow part of one leek, and 1 carrot, small diced)
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste (or 2 garlic cloves and 1 inch ginger, both minced)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2-3 tbsp Lime (juice)
- Salt and Black Pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2-3 Thyme (sprigs, optional but recommended )
- 1. In a pot, add washed pink lentils with 2 cups of water, 1/2 tsp salt. Bring boil. Cook until lentils are soft. (10-15 minutes)
- 2. While lentils cook, heat oil in heavy bottom pot. Add diced carrot, leeks, ginger and garlic with curry leaves and thyme. Sauté for 5 minutes or until leeks are tender.
- 3. Add all spices with 1/2 tsp salt, sweet potato, and apple. Continue saute for 5 more minutes.
- 4. Put cooked lentils with 1/2 cup water and blend to smooth puree. Add it to pot. Also add chickpeas and 4 cups of water (or stock if using). Add 1/2 tsp black pepper. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Add coconut milk and continue simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- 5. Remove from heat, taste and add lime juice (I add up-to 2 tablespoon), salt (I end up adding about 1/4-1/2 tsp). Stir in chopped cilantro. (fish out thyme or curry leaf if prefer). Serve hot and enjoy.