Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
Posted By Savita
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad, a mighty nutrient rich, delicious and crunchy raw brussel sprout salad with sweet and tangy green apple, pomegranate seeds, parmesan, and sea salted pecans. Every ingredient in this salad compliments each other. You will LOVE the flavors.
Shaved or Shredded Brussel Sprout Salad was on my to-post list since long.. I have been super-fan of raw brussel sprouts lately... So thought why not share my experience and this recipe with you too!
This is my go-to recipe for eating these raw. Brussel sprouts are like tiny cabbage with leaves packed super tight. When shredded, the resulting sprouts look like slaw or a green hay stack. Shredding make'em mild, less chewy, also perfect size to absorb lots of flavor from dressing.
The best parts of this salad? Delicious sweet and sour flavor, and a nutrient rich side ready in just 15 minutes.
- 1 lbs Brussel Sprout (washed)
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranates (seeds, seed of about 1 medium pomegranate)
- 4-5 tbsp Vinaigrette (see direction for details)
- 1/3 Cup Pecans
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese (shaved or shredded)
- 1 Apple (granny smith)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (sea salt, preferred )
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1. Salted Pecans: Heat a tsp oil in skillet. Add pecans and toast for 2-3 minutes. Keep a close eye, don't let nuts go dark or brown. Once toasted, remove in a plate. Immediately toss with generous 1-2 pinches of sea salt. Set aside. (don't cover)
- 2. Clean the Brussels sprout. Don't cut-off hard stem. Shave thin on mandoline holding the hard stem as safety guard (or use safety guard of mandoline). Also core and slice apple on julienne setting of medallion.
In a jar, add all vinaigrette dressing ingredients. 1.5 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, generous pinch or two of salt and 1/4 teaspoon fresh-cracked black pepper. Shake well to emulsify. Add to shaved Brussels sprout and apples, toss gently.
Additional Notes:This salad also goes great with Honey Mustard dressing, Red Wine vinaigrette. I have listed a complete suggestion list in recipe description.
- 4. Top with pomegranate seeds, toasted pecans and shaved parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.