Pumpkin Dinner Rolls with Honey Ginger Butter
Rich and festive Pumpkin Dinner Rolls glazed with honey-ginger butter. Egg free.
Posted By Savita
Moist, rich, and festive Pumpkin Dinner Rolls spiced with ginger, pepper, nutmeg and glazed with honey-ginger butter. Deliciously savory and gorgeous looking these rolls will be perfect to serve for Thanksgiving dinner!
A side with pumpkin and spices is must on holiday dinner table. Don't you think? Plus these pumpkin dinner rolls are not heavy, and are also egg free. I even love serving some on side with stews, soups, or for breakfast with smear of salted butter. yummm!
When I decided to work on this pumpkin dinner rolls recipe.. I wanted to keep it completely egg free. I think, holiday table should have sides that everyone on dinner table can enjoy. I'm talking about vegetarian guests. Since these rolls are completely egg free, even vegetarian guests can enjoy festive rich buttery bread.
For these rolls, I decided to go with spiced savory flavors. I love pumpkin more as spiced and savory ingredient than sweet. These dinner rolls get spiced aroma from dry ginger, black pepper, hint of nutmeg, and sweetness from honey and dried cranberri...
- 1 Cup Pumpkin (puree)
- Pumpkin Seeds (or sesame seeds, for topping rolls)
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/3 Cup Cranberries (dried)
- 2 tsp Honey (for brushing on rolls)
- 1/4 Oz Active Dry Yeast (7 grams)
- 1 Cup Milk (whole, full fat)
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 3.5 - 4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper (fresh cracked)
- 3/4 tsp Ginger (powder, 1/2 tsp and 1/4 tsp divided)
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter (melted, 2 tablespoon more for brushing rolls)
- 1. Mix yeast, lukewarm milk, sugar with 1 cup of flour and set aside for 10 minutes to foam.
- 2. Add pumpkin puree, salt, black pepper, 1/2 tsp ginger, nutmeg, and melted butter with 2.5 cup of flour. Mix with spatula.
- 3. Turn to work surface or stand mixer with dough hook attachment and knead for 4-5 minutes adding remaining flour until smooth, elastic and soft dough forms. Dough should not be very wet or sticky. In last 1 minute, incorporate cranberries into dough. Oil a clean bowl, turn dough once to coat in oil, cover with plastic wrap then clean kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour or until double in size.
Once risen, punch down the dough. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
Additional Notes:Picture shows dough after 1.5 hours. It has risen more than double.
- 5. In meantime, oil a 11 inch dish or rimmed casserole. Divide rested dough into 16-17 balls. Tuck closely in the dish. Cover with dry kitchen towel. Let rise until dish is filled (about 30-40 minutes)
- 6. Preheat oven at 400 degree Fahrenheit.. Brush top of rolls with a tablespoon melted butter mixed with a teaspoon honey. Sprinkle sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds on top.
- 7. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until tops of rolls are golden brown. Mix remaining butter, honey with 1/4 tsp of ginger powder. Brush on just out of oven rolls to keep'em more moist. Wait for 5 minutes then scrape sides and remove from pie dish to cool on wire rack. Serve warm and enjoy!