Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Penne Alla Vodka
Pumpkin Cream Sauce pasta made with fresh roasted pumpkin puree marinara, parmesan, vodka, and fresh basil.
Posted By Savita
This recipe for Pumpkin Pasta Sauce is my fall inspired take on Penne Alla Vodka with penne pasta coated in fresh roasted Pumpkin Vodka Cream Sauce, parmesan cheese, and fresh basil.
My Pumpkin Marinara a.k.a pumpkin pasta sauce is gluten free, and can be vegan. It stays good in refrigerator for up-10 days. You can use it for any recipe which calls for marinara sauce. Just like I used it to make Penne Alla Vodka.
You will be amazed how easy it is to serve flavroful pasta for dinner even when you forgot to add marinara in shopping cart!
So, let's make some Pumpkin Marinara Penne All Vodka!
Pasta with Vodka Cream Sauce, is staple pasta dinner in our home. This recipe was one of the very first I shared on the blog. Almost 6 years ago... It feels like yesterday though. :) Time flies! Today when I was creating this post to share, I felt my old post needs a revival. Poor thing has 6 year old photos when all I knew was cooking. Had no photography skills what so ever!
- 2 Cup Pumpkin (puree)
- 8 Tomatoes (Pureed or Crushed San Marzano Tomatoes)
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion (small diced)
- 2 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1 tsp Salt
- Fresh Herbs (tied sprig of thyme, rosemary, oregano, sage)
- 1 lbs Pasta (penne)
- 1/2 Cup Vodka
- 2-3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Basil (fresh leaves, chopped)
- 1/3 Heavy Cream (adjust to taste)
- Salt and Black Pepper
Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Pumpkin Penne Alla Vodka
- 1. Cook penne pasta in salted water according to package directions.
- 2. Heat olive oil in wide saute pan. Saute onion, garlic, and herb bundle (tied sprig of thyme, rosemary, oregano, sage) in olive oil until onions are soft. (3-4 minutes)
Add roasted pumpkin's puree and tomato puree with 1 cup water (or stock if using) and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix well. Add cayenne, honey, lemon juice. Mix well again. Simmer for 10-12 minutes (covered) or until sauce thickens. Taste and adjust salt and black pepper. Transfer sauce to blender, blend until smooth.
Additional Notes:Store it in air-tight container in refrigerator if not using immediately. At this stage Pumpkin Pasta Sauce is without alcohol and also vegan.
- 4. In wide saute pan, melt 2 tablespoon of butter. Add pasta sauce prepared in step-3. Cook sauce with butter for a minute. Top with vodka. Mix and boil sauce until alcohol cooks off (3-4 minutes). Add heavy cream with 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup stock (or water) to adjust the consistency of sauce as per your liking. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until sauce is glossy. Melt remaining butter into sauce. Taste and adjust salt and black pepper. (don't forget to taste and adjust seasoning) Take sauce off heat.
Add cooked drained penne into the pasta sauce, top with half of grated Parmesan cheese and half of the basil (chopped). Gently fold pasta into the sauce.
Additional Notes:Reserve some pasta water if serving pasta later to adjust the consistency of sauce.
- 6. Serve immediately in pasta bowls topped with remaining cheese and fresh basil. Enjoy!