Stuffed Turkey Breast
This Turkey Breast Roast is easy, and flavorful with gluten free Tuscan Kale Stuffing.
Posted By Savita
Moist and bold-flavor Stuffed Turkey Breast with Tuscan kale and cheese stuffing. This turkey roast is easy to put together, and makes gorgeous festive presentation on holiday dinner table. Gluten free.
Stuffed Boneless Turkey Breast is my favorite to serve for Thanksgiving dinner-for-two or for friends-giving when our different guests have different diet needs.. Few are vegetarians, some chicken-tarians, and others turkeytarians.. On such occasions, we cater to everyone by making a little bit of everything. a whole chicken roast, some veggie-forward main course, and a few stuffed turkey breast roasts.
This stuffed turkey breast recipe is worry-free, leftovers-free, and fits perfectly in our budget. Guests are happy because it tastes delicious and looks so good on dinner table. With gluten free stuffing.... Even gluten-free guests are covered! No one misses whole turkey for sure. A complete win-win!
One stuffed turkey breast is good to serve 2-3 guests. Recipe doubles easily. You can make as many as you like.
- 1 Turkey (breast, butter-flied. Plus butcher twine to tie the stuffed turkey breast)
- 1/4 Cup Butter - Salted
- 2.5 tbsp Olive Oil
- Lemon (to get a tsp zest and a tablespoon juice)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Olives (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 1/2 Bunch Kale
- 5-6 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1/4 Cup Shallot Onions (about 2 medium, small diced )
- 1/3 Cup Cheddar Cheese (extra sharp cheddar , grated)
- Fresh Herbs (parsley, oregano and sage)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Beet Root (*stems chopped (read notes))
- 1. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoon olive oil with a tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, and generous 2-3 pinches of salt and a black pepper. Set aside. To make herb butter, in room temperature butter mix half teaspoon of lemon zest with 2 tablespoon of fresh herbs (I used chopped parsley, oregano and sage). Mix well to combine and set aside.
Lay butterflied turkey breast on cutting board. Cover with plastic wrap and pound until about 1/2 inch thick. Gently coat breast with marinade. Place in container. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (at least 30 minutes)
Additional Notes:Don't pound too much or skin will tear. It is okay to be little uneven at some places. everything adjusts when breast is rolled with stuffing.
- 3. To prepare stuffing, heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a saute pan. Add remaining garlic, dried oregano, shallots and cook stirring often until shallots are soft (1-2 minutes). Don't let garlic burn. Add fine chopped kale (almost shredded). Season with pinch of salt and black pepper. Saute until kale is soft. Remove from heat. When kale mixture is cool to touch, mix in small chopped olives, capers, remaining lemon zest, half of chili flakes, grated cheddar cheese, 2 tbsp of fresh chopped parsley, a tsp fresh sage, a tsp fresh oregano. Taste and adjust salt and black pepper. Mix and set aside.
- 4. When ready for stuffing, preheat oven at 450 degree Fahrenheit. Rub turkey skin side with 2 tablespoon herb butter. Flip turkey back to skin side down. Rub top with a tablespoon of herb butter. Sprinkle with generous pinch of salt all over and remaining chili flakes. Spoon kale-cheese stuffing on top distributing evenly. Starting from smaller side, roll turkey breast tightly with stuffing to make roullade.
Place reserved skin on top of roll. Tie with butcher twine 1 inch apart to secure the roll. For clean presentation, tie such way that knots are on seam side and skin side is facing up.. Place on sheet tray. Bake in preheated oven at 450 degree Fahrenheit for 12 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350 and continue cooking for 35 - 45 minutes or until instant thermometer reads 165 degree internal temperature. Don't overcook, check temperature after 35 minutes. Then check every 3-4 minutes until it is 165 degrees.
Additional Notes:For easy cleanup line sheet pan with aluminium foil. If you want to use drippings to make gravy, then place directly on sheet pan.
- 6. Once ready. Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Slice to 1/2 inch pin wheel slices. You can use pan drippings to make a flavorful gravy.
*I added 1/2 cup of gorgeous red beet root stems (NOT beet root) to stuffing for some red festive color. You can also use rainbow chard stems or dried cranberries. All are completely optional. I saute these with kale for 1 minute after Kale has wilted.