Cracked Wheat and Lentils Porridge
Wholegrain breakfast with bonus lentil proteins
Posted On: Aug, 28 | Author: Savita
All Cracked Wheat or porridge recipes are nutritional and diabetic friendly, the one I am sharing with you today also has bonus proteins from yellow lentils. Actually, I should admit that lentils also enhance the taste and texture of porridge. For those, who are new to porridge, Cracked Wheat is called Porridge when cooked in water or milk till it is fully cooked and has oats in milk like consistency. Cracked Wheat is most simple ingredient to cook with; but few of my friend complaint that they can never evenly cook porridge. So, I will share with you a little secret later to help you cook cracked wheat more evenly and quickly. Porridge is commonly associated with breakfast in nay European countries. Hence, mostly people eat porridge for breakfast, but in my home, we even enjoy it for lunch with side of pan roasted veggies or a small arugula salad. Eat it whatever way you like, this wholesome wholegrain will help you lower cholesterol and control glucose spikes too.
Cracked Wheat and Lentils Porridge
Total Time: Prep Time: Cook Time: Cuisine: Indian (Breakfast)
- 1/2 Cup Cracked Wheat
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Daal (Also called Moong Daal or Yellow Moong Lentil without husk)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (or 1/2 tsp cumin powder)
- 2 tbsp Cilantro (fine chopped)
- 1 tsp Canola Oil
- 4 tbsp Yogurt (Optional)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup White Onion (Optional)
1. Wash the yellow lentil under open water till water runs clear and set aside. Now, heat oil in deep pan or pressure cooker without lid. Add cumin seeds and onion and saute till onion are translucent. 3-4 minutes. Additional Notes: I have used pressure cooker to cook porridge which mostly take 15 minutes including time to roast porridge. If you prefer to boil then it will take about 25 minutes to roast and cook.2. Add cracked wheat and continuously stir wheat to pan roast it. Additional Notes: This step is very important, if cracked wheat is not roasted properly, it takes much longer time to cook and is tough to eat.
3. Keep roasting till almost all wheat kernels start to appear popped (a little white popcorn like spots here and there)4. Add lentils and 3 cups of water and 1 tsp salt. Stir to combine.
- 5. Bring the wheat and lentil to a rolling boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes or till lentils are full cooked and have almost disappeared in cooked cracked wheat. Adjust water, add 1/2 cup to one cup if wheat and lentil taking longer to cook. If using pressure cook, pressure cook at high for 1 pressure whistle and at low for 5 whistles (about 5 minutes)
- 6. Remove cooked crack wheat or porridge from heat. Add black pepper and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately as cooked cracked wheat absorbs water as it sits. Add some yogurt, sprinkle some pepper and enjoy most healthy whole wheat breakfast on the planet.
Savita's Notes:I always serve savory cracked wheat with yogurt on the side, no specific reasons just for taste and some cooling affect with hot porridge. However, for vegan diet, replace yogurt with glass of almond milk or orange juice.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Tag @SAVITACHEFDEHOME on Instagram and hashtag it
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Craving For More? Subscribe Weekly Newsletter Check Products We Use (affiliate links) Request a Recipe