Penne al Forno
Baked Pasta with Marinara and Bechamel
Posted By Savita
I usually layer some cooked ground meat or chopped spinach for some extra layers of favor but today's recipe is simply - baked Pasta with Marinara and Bechamel.
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Penne al Forno
- 1/2 lbs Pasta (Penne Pasta)
- 3 Cup Marinara Sauce (or your favorite tomato sauce)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Basil (chopped)
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter (2 tbsp for bechamel and 1 tbsp for breadcrumb crisp topping (use more if you prefer))
- 2 Cup Milk
- 3 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt and Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg (grated)
- 2 Garlic (Optional - cloves of garlic, fine chopped)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Make Bechamel - Heat milk in a pot and remove from heat. In an another heavy bottom sauce pan, cook flour with 2 tbsp butter till flour is cooked but not brown, add warm milk slowly and keep whisking so that flour does not form lumps in milk. Keep stirring until milk is thick and leaves a smooth, thin coating on spoon (about 20 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg. Yields about 1 & 1/4 Cup
2. Cook Pasta - Start oven to preheat at 375 F. Bring a pot of water to boil, add salt and cook pasta 2 minutes less than time mentioned on the pasta package cooking directions (I cook it for 6 minutes).
3. Start layering the pasta in a deep baking dish. Mix chopped basil, chopped garlic (if using) and oilve oil in the marinara. Start with a small scoop of marinara sauce at the bottom.
Additional NotesI have used individual baking pan for this recipe, but you can use a 9'' pan to make pasta al Forno.4. Top it with layer of cooked pasta.
5. Top it with white sauce (Bechamel), then repeat layers of marinara, penne pasta and bechamel two times or until all marinara and white sauce have been consumed.6. Top it with bread crumbs and melted 1 tbsp butter.
7. Bake on oven middle rack for 20 minutes. Serve with a glass of Shardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use my content/images without prior permission. If you want to re-publish this recipe instructions, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post and credit ChefDeHome for the recipe.
- Creamy Pesto Pasta Tuesday, July 14, 2015
- Lemon-Herb Pasta Primavera Wednesday, May 20, 2015
- Spooky Lemon Butter Noodles with Witch Croutons Monday, October 6, 2014
- The MasalaWich - Chicken Tikka Masala Grilled Cheese Sandwich Thursday, August 14, 2014
- Made-from-scratch Caramelized Onion Pizza Tuesday, May 6, 2014
- Pasta - Penne Rosa in Tomato-Cream Wine Sauce Monday, March 24, 2014