Hungarian Goulash Style Autumn Vegetable Stew
Posted By Savita
Nothing tastes better than a bowl of warm stew on a cold winter evening. Traditional Goulash is Hungarian meat and pasta stew, usually seasoned with paprika and served with a dollop of sour cream.
For my vegetarian spin of Hungarian Goulash, I have replaced the proteins in traditional soup with hearty lentils and have used lots of autumn vegetables like butternut squash, zucchini to make filling and satisfying Vegetable Goulash. This delicious and healthy stew is excellent for weekend family dinners. Feel free to add 1 cup of penne pasta or add vegetables of your choice to make it your own.
I really love the traditional sour cream dollop on the top of warm vegetable goulash. Cold & tangy sour cream melts on warm mild spicy soup and creates a symphony of flavors.
I often pair this dish with:
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
- 1 Cup Butternut Squash (I used chopped frozen squash.)
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Cup Brown Lentils (or french lentils)
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Powder (Paprika)
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- 2 Cup Mix Vegetables (3-4 carrots, 1 stalk of celery, 1 bunch Scallions, 1 Red Potato evenly diced.)
- Tomatoes (1 fresh tomato diced and one 10oz can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 Red Onion (Red or Yellow Onion sliced in half moons)
- 2-3 Garlic (garlic cloves fine chopped)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (plus extra for serving)
- 2 Cup Vegetable Stock (plus 2 cups of water)
- 1/4 Cup Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream (for serving)
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. In a deep pot, add lentils with 3 cups of water and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to boil and then set to simmer on low medium heat for 15 minutes. In meantime, soak sundried tomatoes in 1/4 cup of hot water, cover for 10 minutes, drain and reserve both tomatoes and soaking liquid.2. Dice all the vegetables. About 2 cups of veggies - I add 3-4 carrots, 1 stalk of celery, 1 bunch Scallions, 1 Red Potato evenly diced.
3. Heat oil in a deep pan, add oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Heat till garlic is fragrant. Add all veggies and saute for 1 minute. Cook covered for 5-6 minutes, or until softened. Now add in chopped sundried tomatoes, soaking liquid, vegetable stock, lentils, lentil cooking liquid, thyme, paprika, diced tomatoes, 2 cups water and canned tomatoes.4. Bring to boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes, till tomatoes are cooked, vegetables and lentils are tender. Serve hot topped with dollop of sour cream and side of crusty bread. Enjoy!!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.
- Mujaddara - Spiced Lentils and Rice
- Sweet Spicy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apple
- Easy Ratatouille Stew
- Celery Detox Salad with Cucumber and Zucchini
- Summer Minestrone Soup
- Healthy Summer Glow Lentil Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Goat Cheese
- Creamy, Tangy Rice & Lentils Salad with Sour Cream Dressing