Spiced Chickpea Flat Bread
Indian Punjabi Missi Roti
Posted By Savita
Spiced Chickpea Flat Bread is always served in all Indian weddings to accompany curries. However, this bread has so much flavor, you will enjoy it alone or with just some melted butter or pickle on the side. Even though this flat bread is specialty of North Indian State - Punjab, it is popular all over the India.
This spiced bread is also high in fibre, best suitable to eat on its own on-the-go. Punjab is a farming state of India and this flat bread was traditionally prepared for farmers working in fields to keep them full longer.
If you ever wonder to start your day right , this bread is excellent choice for breakfast.
Whenever, I make this dough, I roll and freeze 4-5 breads (uncooked), then on any busy weekday, just take out 1-2 frozen breads, cook'em on flat skillet with little bit or no oil and eat , sipping a cup of hot coffee.
This spiced flat bread makes me feel like chickpea flour and whole wheat flour are on mission to keep me healthy and full longer. Have this for breakfast and it will keep you full (satisfactory full) for long time. Perfect way to avoid mid morning snacks and maintain healthy weight.
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Spiced Chickpea Flat Bread
- 1 & 1/2 Cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 & 1/2 Cup Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (fine chopped)
- 4 tbsp Cilantro (fine chopped)
- 1 Hot Green Pepper (small) (fine chopped)
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil (plus extra for pan frying)
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Powder (Or 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes. This amount does not make bread spicy, but it is totally optional.)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Fenugreek Leaves (Kasoori Methi - Optional)
- 1 tsp Ajwain (Or dry thyme )
1. Make Dough - In a mixer with dough hook or in a large bowl using hands mix chickpea and wheat flour. Add all dry spices, salt and onion, cilantro. Mix well. Add oil and 1/4 cup water at a time till dough comes together. Dough should neither be very sticky nor firm. Let dough rest for 15 to 20 minutes before rolling breads.
2. Roll Flat Breads - Heat an iron griddle or flat skillet. On a board dusted with wheat flour, take out dough. Divide into 8 to 10 equal size balls. Dust with flour to stop sticking with board. Use rolling pin to roll the dough to 5 inch circle.
3. Cook - Place the flat bread (one at a time) on heated skillet, add 1 tsp oil and sear it for 2-3 minutes on each side.
4. Serve - Repeat Step -3 for all remaining uncooked flat breads. Serve hot with Butter or Indian Style Pickle or Cucumber Raita. Check out Raita and Pickle recipes in pairing suggestions.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.