Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Potatoes
Posted By Savita
This greek-style Lemon Rainbow Potatoes Recipe is fabulous for serving baked potatoes on side, worry free and hassle free. Just 5 minutes prep and rest is the trouble of slow cooker.
I'm not going to lie to you, our family or party dinners are often very elaborate. So when I have guests coming over, I'm all-over my kitchen, with dough stuck in hair and apron covered in flour! Mostly, I'm cooking everything at home. So often I need ALL possible source of cooking to finish in time.
Where Stove and Oven are busy making curries and breads.... one side dish I always leave as responsibility of my trusted Slow Cooker and that is 'Baked Potatoes or Lemon Potatoes'.
I have learned after hosting several parties over the years that everyone needs potatoes in a hearty family-style dinner. My friends and family members love potatoes so much that they often ask for potatoes: baked and seasoned, in salads, or in stew!
Greek Lemon potatoes are most easy to put together. Sometimes, when I'm busy preparing rest, I even ask Vishal to put everything in slow cooker. It is THAT simple! You know what I mean? ;)
Lemon Potatoes and Preserved Lemons (Two in One Recipe!)
There is one more delicious (secret) benefit of making Greek Lemon Potatoes because this recipe is two-in-one! When potatoes are roasting in slow cooker, thick cut lemon slices cook with them... slowly concentrating in flavor... almost like Preserved Seasoned Lemons!
So, when my friends request for Greek Potatoes on side, they get it without hesitation! Because, I can serve them two sides in effort of one and all I have to do is: switch-on the slow cooker.
The combination of garlic, oregano, lemon (I have used meyer lemons for this batch), and finishing touch of a tablespoon butter is simply hard to resist. Even anyone who don't like potatoes, could not resist a second serving! I bet!
PS: You can use the leftover potatoes in greek salads (if you will be lucky to save some!). Also, preserved lemons are great on cold sandwiches and even in breakfast rolls! This side is also Gluten Free, and can be vegan if you just skip butter.
Few more delicious Potato Sides:
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Potatoes
- 2 lbs Potatoes (baby rainbow potatoes)
- 1.5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3-4 Sprigs Thyme (or fresh oregano)
- 4-5 tbsp Parsley (fresh, fine chopped)
- 3 Lemon (or Meyer lemons)
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
1. Clean and scrub potatoes under running water until clean and dirt free. Slice 2 and half lemons in thick round slices, remove seeds, and set aside. Also, zest 1 remaining lemon to yield 1 tsp lemon zest. Cut this lemon in half to use the juice.
2. In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, add olive oil and use a brush to coat all sides so that potatoes does not stick while cooking. Arrange half of lemon slices at the bottom, add potatoes and remaining lemon slices. Drizzle juice of one lemon. Sprinkle dried oregano, reserved lemon zest, fresh thyme sprigs, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder on top. Cover and cook on slow for 6 hours or on high for 2.5 hours or until potatoes are knife tender.
3. Just before serving, fish out thyme sprigs and discard. Add in butter and chopped parsley, then mix everything together. Transfer lemon slices in a separate bowl. Transfer potatoes on a large platter and serve!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.