Healthy Summer Glow Lentil Salad
Posted By Savita
A delicious french lentil salad with lemony vegan mint avocado dressing, artichokes, berries, tomatoes and fresh turmeric to nourish body and give skin, a healthy summer glow!!
Oh, and this easy lentil salad is not just healthy, but tastes as delicious too! Keeping a salad delicious and flavorful motivates me to include more salads in our diet without craving for those snack breaks!
A flavor-exploding part of this salad is: Lemony and Creamy Mint and Avocado Garlic Dressing. Every ingredient of this dressing is a start towards getting healthier glowing skin, hair and nails. Avocado, garlic, oregano, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil... all of these benefit heath and nourish it!
I love to make a big batch and use it lot more ways than just dressing for lentil salad. Spreading on sandwich or topping over grilled meats are my favorites!
The star ingredients if this salad is Lentils. I have not used plain lentils for this salad but rather sprouted lentils. To sprout, I soak the lentils overnight in a fresh water. This way lentils soak-up water and become easier to cook and are also good for the body. I always discard the soaking liquid since it helps me get rid of lots of water-soluble harsh substances from lentil skin. If you can soak lentils for two days with one time water change.. that is even better.
Sprouted lentils are also sold pre-packaged in most grocery stores. If you can't find one, you can also use bean sprouts (available in produce - herb isles of most stores).
Berries are in season. There is not better time to eat fresh produce than when it is in season. I have used combination of raspberries and blueberries to add natural anti-oxidants to this salad bowl. You can use any berries of choice. I often also use strawberries or cherries in this salad.
You know, how summer is: specially in California, it's 110 degrees Fahrenheit! Outdoors sun will draw moisture and glow from skin, indoors AC does no good for skin either! Now, in such weather good and healthy diet can really help keep skin healthy and glowing like summer sun!
Should I say a few words about the touch of turmeric in this salad. Lentils, garlic and turmeric are like marriage-in-heaven for any Indian food lover. Even though this salad is not show Indian flavors but turmeric is such a root which is known from ages for it's purifying and healing qualifies. A little fresh with meal everyday or dried mixed in smoothies, milk or soups, it can make any meal healthier!
One of the most important aspect of salad diet is : it should not leave you starving. If I eat a little, the evening or midnight snack cravings undo the healthy-effect of salad. For dinner, I serve a portion of grilled chicken on the side to make it a meal. This is specially great for days when we have planned to eat low-carb. Salad is surprisingly filling and leaves no need for a bread. I also call it my "low-carb-fix"!
So, let's say hello to lite, healthy, skin glow summer foods and enjoy the sunny summer days!
Wish you a wonderful day! ~Savita
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Healthy Summer Glow Lentil Salad
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 Avocado
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 Garlic (1 clove, fine grated )
- 1 Lemon (2-3 tbsp juice)
- Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste)
- 1/4 Cup Mint (fresh leaves)
- 1/2 Cup Brown Lentils (or mixed, sprouted lentil)
- 1 Cup Blueberries (1/2 pint)
- 1 Cup Raspberries (1/2 pint)
- 1 inch Turmeric (fresh, thin sliced)
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 1 Cup Artichokes (water packed, drained)
Lemony Mint Avocado Dressing
1. In blender or food processor jar, add all Avocado Dressing ingredients and process to make smooth puree. Remove in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Cook lentils according to package direction. For sprouted lentils, I boil 1/2 cup sprouted lentils in salted 1 cup water for 8 minutes, then cover and leave aside for 20 minutes until all water has been absorbed.
3. In a salad bowl, cooked and cooled lentils, add diced artichokes, turmeric, halved cherries, and berries. Top with avocado dressing and fresh leaves of mint. Enjoy!
First key to any detox/nourishing salad is : using organic produce. So wherever possible, use organic ingredients.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.
- Spicy Avocado Sauce Pasta
- Mango Avocado Pasta Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Avocado Fried Egg Toast with Tomato Jam
- Arrabbiata Sauce | Spicy Italian Pasta Sauce | Rao's Arrabbiata Copycat
- Creamy, Tangy Rice & Lentils Salad with Sour Cream Dressing
- Vegetable Goulash
- Creamy Tangy Lentil Dip
- Asparagus with Garlic and Cherry Tomatoes