Family-style Ice Cream Sundae
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SunsOutSpoonsOut #CollectiveBias
Posted By Savita
Looking for a Fun Family-style Summer Dessert? I got you covered with these make your own Ice Cream Sundae. Fruity, tart, and floral Red-Wine Reduction Sauce, and sweet and chocolaty Raspberry Sauce, and crunchy Cinnamon-Sugar Chips for scooping, these fun-topping Ice Cream Sundaes offer something for everyone in the family! Today, my family's Fun Summer Sundae was sponsored by Blue Bunny Premium Vanilla Ice Cream.
My Memorial Day weekend was crazy lazy and full of watching TV, and cooking good food! Too lazy to a point that by Monday evening, I just wanted it to end soon.... I know, I'm classic! Who would ask for holidays to end, but me!?
Actually, I'm used to a short and sweet weekend and then getting back to work, sharp Monday morning! Work not really have to be blogging or coding, but just active hustle-bustle keeps me very happy. On top of that, Vishal recently had a small Thumb Surgery, so he took-off on Tuesday too. So, my weekend got ridiculous long......
THE BEST thing about my lazy-crazy weekend was "cooking" and watching TV.
Due to Memorial Day, few of our favorite movies were aired whole weekend and that kept us very busy. Most weekend, to enjoy movie-time, I finished cooking very early, prepared some snacks for munching while watching movies, and also made some delicious toppings to serve with my favorite, Ice Cream Sundae, in dessert.
We were not planning any outdoor activity and mostly were staying at home.... So, I planned my grocery-list accordingly. While our trip to Walmart, I attended a demonstration of Blue Bunny Premium Ice Creams. Ice cream had amazingly rich and creamy taste and it went great with fresh seasonal berries (used in demo).
There were so many Blue bunny Ice Cream flavors and novelties to choose from! My favorite were Premium Vanilla, Homemade Vanilla, and Vanilla Bean! They had other flavors too like Butter Pecan or Strawberry but my heart was 'all set' for Vanilla flavors!
If you want to try Blue Bunny Ice Cream, you can visit your local Walmart Store between June 4-7 to attend Blue Bunny Premium Vanilla Sandwiches and Wet Ones demos.
To know more about their products, visit Blue Bunny Website here.
So, decided to go for Premium Vanilla and Premium Homemade Vanilla flavors, and planned to go crazy with toppings of my choice. I had some leftover Red Wine in my refrigerator, and some dark chocolate, plus this demo further fueled my creativity to go all-indulgent for long weekend's dessert extravaganza!
Scoop of creamy chilled Vanilla Ice Cream layered with fruity and floral Cherry-Red Wine reduction sauce, chocolate-cream sauce, fresh raspberries, fresh cherries, pistachios, crunchy cinnamon-sugar chips for scooping!
Trust me! This sundae was a Restaurant Quality Ice Cream Sundae, served right in comfort of your own home, on the couch.... with your favorite movie playing on TV......... and million dollar question was:
Do you want to miss the scene? Or Do you want to miss deciding toppings?!
seriously.... tough question!! :)
Try once, you will fall in love with these "make your own" Ice Cream Sundae!
First, because it is served chilled, perfect to beat summer heat! Second, it is so full of vibrant colors and fresh berries that no one will resist asking for more. Side note: Berries are also rich in anti-oxidants! And last, but not least, you provide the ingredients and your family can have fun picking toppings of their choice!
Like kids will have pure vanilla ice cream and lots of chocolate sauce with raspberries. and grown-ups will like everything and not be able to resist cherry-wine sauce! I bet!
Even if you planning to pack it for a Beach-Side Summer Party or Pool-Side Party, it is a fun-to-assemble dessert! Just make sure keep an ice box filled with ice to keep everything chilled and not-melting!
I categorize this Summer Dessert as "Make Once Serve Anytime!" kinda dessert. Once you have Ice Cream Tub in freezer, all of the toppings can be prepared at-least few days in advance.
Cherry-wine reduction sauce might last more than one week...... Honestly, it never makes past 2 days in my home. So, I still need to test it's shelf-life. Good luck keeping yours!! ;)
Even though you can make chocolate cream sauce in advance. This one takes just 1 minute to whip. Really!!! No kidding. All you need is microwave safe bowl and a microwave(of-course).
Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas chips will also stay good in an air-tight container for 2-3 days. Don't you skip these! Trust me, crunchy chips slathered in cinnamon and sugar makes every scoop of ice cream even more delicious! Only problem is, I always eat too much!!
Oh! Gosh! I so wish I could make long spoon out of them!
I had great time enjoying this delicious Sundae over the weekend! You know what?! After looking at these pictures, I'm craving for one more Sundae! Luckily, I still have all toppings in refrigerator!! Especially, cherry-wine sauce! *drooling*
Let me ask you! What are your favorite Ice Cream Sundae topping?
Hope you enjoyed your weekend and had great time!
Some more Summer Desserts from my recipe repertoire:
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Family-style Ice Cream Sundae
- 6-7 Cup Vanilla Ice cream (1 pack, 1.65 L of Blue Bunny Premium Vanilla or Premium Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream)
- 2 Tortillas (2 medium flour tortillas, cut in 1 inch wedges)
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon (powder)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Canola Oil (for frying)
- 1/4 Cup Pistachio (chopped, toasted if you prefer)
- 0.25 lbs Chocolate (bitter-sweet chocolate, chips or log chopped)
- 1 Cup Raspberries (extra for garnish)
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 tsp Corn Starch
- 1 Cup Red Cherries (pitted, extra for garnish)
- 1 Cup Wine (red wine, use any drink-quality leftover red wine)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (granulated, white sugar)
Ice Cream Sundaes and Cinnamon-Sugar Chips
Raspberry-Chocolate Cream Sauce
Cherry-Wine Reduction Sauce
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Cherry-Wine Reduction Sauce - In a deep, heavy bottom pan, add cherries, wine, starch, and sugar.2. Bring to boil, reduce heat and set stove to medium heat. Simmer on medium-high heat until it thickens, reduces to half of it's original quantity. (about 20-25 minutes) Remove from heat and let it cool completely. Yields 1/2 Cup Sauce.
3. Chocolate Cream Sauce - Heat heavy cream in a small microwave safe bowl for 20 seconds. In a wide microwave safe bowl, add chopped chocolate and heated heavy cream. Stir to combine. Microwave again for 10 secs each time, stir after heating every-time, until chocolate melts fully. Set aside.
Additional NotesDon't keep more than 10 secs each time or chocolate might burn/harden.4. Cinnamon-Sugar Tortilla Chips: Heat oil for frying in a heavy bottom deep pan. While oil is heating, cut tortillas into small wedges, about 8-10 wedges each tortilla. Also, combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
5. Fry tortillas until crisp and brown from both sides. Tortillas fry very quickly, just 1-2 minutes each batch.6. Drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon-sugar. Set aside to cool.
7. Assemble Sundae: Start with 1 tbsp cherry-wine sauce, top with few pitted cherries, then with scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream, then alternate with 1-2 or more (per choice) layers of Vanilla Ice cream with Cherry-Wine Reduction, Raspberry-Chocolate Cream Sauce, fresh cherries, and fresh raspberries.8. Top with chopped pistachio nuts and cinnamon-sugar tortillas chips for some scrunchy scooping! Enjoy!
If you like to multi-task, sauces and chips can be prepared parallel. This will reduce cooking time to just 20 minutes.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.