Summer Road Trip Snacks with Twizzlers
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #TwizzlersSummer #CollectiveBias
Posted By Savita
Fun and easy Summer Road-Trip Snacking with our favorite Twizzlers Twists, nuts, and savory mung-lentil empanadas!
During Summers, we love enjoying short road-trips to our near-by favorite destinations! While driving, we prefer to munch on our favorite snacks instead of stopping for a big meal.
You know, it is so HOT in California that we prefer to start early-morning so as to cover maximum distance before sun starts shining too bright! A little munching of sweet and savory snacks save time and really keep the journey exciting!
My picnic lunch-box (a.k.a "magic box" - that's what Vishal calls it), always has some handy snacks which won't need much attention while driving (VERY important). Plus I only pack snacks which will not melt in car, will not make car messy and are filling enough to help us keep moving!
For coming long weekend, I have planned my road trip snacks with help of Twizzler Twists! This weekend, our close family friends and their two daughters are traveling with us.
When we have road-trip planned, I always think ahead and buy the stuff I would need, in advance. I have planned the menu keeping everyone in mind.
Since Twizzlers Twists candies don't melt. These are perfect to add some sweetness in snack-mix without creating a gooey and sticky mess. I chose two flavors to add some color and fruity fragrance in snack-mix.
Vishal specially told me: If you want on-the-go snacks, don't make my car dirty. He freaks-out when he sees mess in his car ;-)
I knew, what I need to do!
My little craft-project started, a day in advance. First, I made these mini cones to fill the single-portion snack mix. I often pack a lot of variety of road-trip munchies in these! These come in handy and are perfect for on-the-go snacks! Not just that, these little cones are also great for portion-control which keeps me very happy and are far-less messy which keeps Vishal happy :)
Paper Cones vs Plastic Cones: To show the beautiful snack-mix inside, I decided, at last moment, to make few food-grade plastic cones. However, it is always best to make cones with parchment paper. You know, just use and trash. Otherwise, if you planning to re-use, you are welcome to make plastic cones like shown in pictures here. (check detailed "how-to" tutorial on making these snacks, in directions.)
Along with On-the-Go Snack-Mix Cones, I made petite Lentil Empanadas! Well, you can call them empandada, or Indian Gujia, or Pastry Puffs. End of the day, these petite baked pastries are cute-little 2-3-bites snacks which are perfect to eat while driving and prevents dinning-on unhealthy gas-station-junk!
In my family, these homemade snacks are MUST for a trip!
To save on calories, I baked the pastries instead of frying and to save on time, I took help of store-bought, ready-to-use, puff-pastry-sheets!
With a no-melt-no-mess snack for munching and savory lentil empanadas for drink-break, we are all set to hit the road and enjoy summers!
So, friends, I've shared how we're incorporating Twizzlers into our summer road trips! What great idea do you have for it? Leave me a comment and let me know!
A few more "snacks" which will travel great with you!!
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Summer Road Trip Snacks with Twizzlers
- 1 Cup Almonds (raw, unsalted)
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts (toasted and salted )
- 1-2 Cup Pretzel
- 1 Cup Marshmallow (mini marshmallow candies)
- Twizzlers Candy (Rainbow Twizzler Twists, half of 12.4 ounce pack)
- Twizzlers Candy (Strawberry Twizzler Twists, half of one 16 ounce pack)
- 2 Puff Pastry (sheets)
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Daal (mung lentils, dried)
- 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1" Ginger (fresh root, chopped)
- 1 Garlic (cloves, small chopped)
- 1/4 Jalapeno (small chopped, optional)
- 2 tbsp Cilantro (fresh leaves, chopped)
- 1 Egg(s) (mixed with 1 tbsp water, for egg wash)
- 1/4 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
Twizzler Twist Snack Mix
Lentil Stuffed Empanadas
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Fold-able Paper Cones (optional): You can also carry snack-mix in re-usable zip-bags. To make Paper Cones, cut 10 of 8"X8" square parchment sheets or food-grade plastic sheets. Fold each sheet as instructed in picture to make a cone shape. Tape the open cone-tip to make a cone.2. I sliced my Strawberry Twizzlers Twists and Rainbow Twizzlers Twists to 2" size sticks. You can cut'em bite-size or keep'em long per your liking. Collect other snack ingredients: peanuts, almonds, raisins, marshmallow, and pretzels at one place before starting to build cones.
3. Fill with 1/3 cup of snack mix. Make sure to include a little-bit of everything. Tie the end with ribbon or rubber-band or a Twizzler. Pack in carry-box for fun-snacking-on-the-go!4. Lentils Empanada (Puffs): Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Soak mung lentils for 2 hours. After two hours, wash lentils under clean water (preferably filter water). Also, chop ginger, garlic, and cilantro. Set aside.
5. Heat oil in a small pan. Add ginger, garlic with spices listed above. Saute for 30 seconds (don't let garlic burn). Now, add lentils and stir fry for 5-6 minutes or until lentils are cooked but not mushy. Just like canned chickpeas. Season with salt and add cilantro, then remove from heat. Transfer to a plate to cool for 5-10 minutes before filling in puff pastry.6. In meantime, on a flour dusted board, roll, one of the two puff pastries, to smooth the folds. Use a cookie cutter to cut six circles. Cut four circles initially then re-roll scrapes to cut another two circles. Fill each circle with a teaspoon of lentil filling. Pinch the ends to make half-moon shapes.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Seal edges of each half-moon pastry with edge of fork and keep placing on parchment-lined sheet. Repeat for all 12 empanadas. Brush with egg wash. Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown at the top. Transfer to wire-rack to cool completely. Then pack in re-usable zip bags.8. You are ready to rock the Road Trip!!
If just want to make just Twizzler Snack-Mix, it needs 15-20 minutes total time. No cooking required.
When headed for road trip, always make sure to pack - water, paper napkins, snacks, some candies and nuts which don't go bad quickly, then drive, munch, chat, and enjoy family-time and the road (of course)!!!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.