Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
Posted By Savita
Mexican-style shrimp cocktail loaded with crunchy cucumber, celery, red onions, creamy avocados, cilantro, shrimp, and lots of zesty flavors. Serve with a big bowl of baked tortillas chips for healthy, and zesty holiday entertaining!!
All of these flavors complement each other so well that I decided to change few traditional ingredients in classic Mexican Shrimp Cocktail. Yes, this not that same same old shrimp cocktail recipe! This shrimp cocktail is kinda like fresh zesty salsa, bloody merry, and shrimp served in same bowl! drooling!! Isn't it?
Oh, and for you and you only, I have included all the variations. Don't worry if can't find bloody mary or have vegetarian guests, I got you all covered. Just ,read the institutions carefully! Thank you for listening. :)
Holiday entertaining can be messy and I admit time and again that I'm always messy in the kitchen. :) You know! When you want to bring bold flavors in every thing you cook and are enthusiastic to serve a lots of homemade treats to you friends..... kitchen has to get messy! Isn't it?
In my family, everyone is so so passionate about cooking that it shows in our kitchen. lol! You know what I mean..... we all are messy-sassy cooks ;-)
Often I will answer the door bell with hairs covered in flour..... One of my friend often says: "This shows you have been cooking all day and not paying takeout bills. haha". I'm like: "thank you! Someone thinks this food is homemade!"
My family's cooking mantra? Put on apron, get busy in the kitchen, no worry if it gets messy.... just cook so awesome food that your guests have best time ever!
PS: For the record, if Vishal tries to help me in the kitchen it gets even messier. lol!
But why worry when you have tools to clean the kitchen mess in no time?! For cleanup post-party and even when cooking all day, one tool I rely on is my Delta Kitchen Faucet.
Gosh! I love it! I mean..... seriously!
Once I'm in the kitchen, ready to cook..... I set the Delta Faucet on to lukewarm water. Then, every step of the way, I'm on my kitchen sink... just touch the faucet, wash, touch again! Voila! Mess-free cleanup every-time. Amazingly, this way I also avoid so much water wastage.
Specially when handling raw seafood or meat, it so important not to touch anything. At such time, Delta Touch2O® Technology is perfect for my Kitchen. Since I own Delta Touch2O® Faucet, I spend no time whipping the kitchen faucet after handling and touching faucet with raw-chicken-touched hands! The most imp for me! After every such raw dealing, my kitchen surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned and so should be my hand and Delta Faucet makes it much easier and mess free.
Delta Faucet believes in the transformative power of water, and exists to deliver those daily transformations to their consumers. As the leading faucet manufacturer for 60 years, Delta Faucet has provided quality products and innovations that change the way consumers experience water in their central, everyday living spaces - their kitchens and baths.
If you love your kitchen mess and adore the cleanups... Don't forget to check out more about Delta Faucet. And make sure you read more about Delta Touch2O® Technology. This is by far the best way to ensure a clean kitchen after every messy cooking/entertaining.... even when you serve a saucy red seafood shrimp cocktail! It tastes scrumptious though ;)
Shrimp and seafood with zesty flavors is often in demand my family parties. Whether it is Oysters with Cocktail Sauce or Mexican-style cocktail, a zesty seafood appetizer is must! What else do you expect from a Mexican-food-fanatic and bold-flavor fan host? haan haan? Few shots of bloody mary dunk shrimp, what else!! lol!! ;-)
Gosh! Can you resit this gorgeous Shrimp Cocktail served with crispy baked tortilla chips? Look at me! Not just bold flavors, I'm even taking care of your holiday calorie-intake.
So, let's get mess, cook scrumptious and bold flavors and enjoy holiday season 2015!
Don't forget to share your favorite Holiday Appetizer?!
Enjoy! -SavitaThis is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Delta Faucet. The opinions and text are all mine. #happimess #deltaliving
I often pair this dish with:
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- 2 Avocado (small diced)
- 1 Cucumber (seeds removed, small diced)
- 3 Tomatoes (medium tomatoes, small diced)
- 1 Red Onion (medium, small diced)
- 2.5 Cup Bloody Mary Mix (medium or hot, as per spicy you prefer)
- 3 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1/4 Cup Clam Juice
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro (small chopped)
- Salt (to taste, if needed)
- Lemon (cut into wedges)
- Tortilla Chips
- 15-20 Shrimp (about 1.5 pound, cleaned raw shrimp)
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 1 Lemon (sliced)
- 2-3 Tortillas (cut into small wedges)
- Oil Spray
Prepare Shrimp for Shrimp Cocktail
Baked Tortilla Chips
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Prepare Shrimp - Fill a deep pot with 3 quarts of water, then add bay leaves, salt, and lemon slices. Bring to a boil and then simmer 5-8 minutes. Increase heat, add shrimp then boil for about 1.5 minutes or until shrimp is bright pink (no raw spots). Remove with slotted spoon and set aside to cool completely.
Additional NotesFor fast cooling refrigerate after cooking.
2. In bowl, add all diced veggies except avocado with half of the cilantro.
3. Add bloody mary mix, clam juice, lemon juice, and cooked shrimp. salt (and some cracked black pepper, if like) to taste. Toss gently to mix everything. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.4. Just before serving, add diced avocado, and remaining cilantro. Taste and adjust salt. Scoop into serving glasses, top with tortilla chips and some lemon wedges. Serve and enjoy!
5. (optional) For Baked Chips, preheat oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. slice 2-3 large tortillas into triangle wedges. Spray with cooking oil spray and sprinkle with some salt. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until chips are lite brown and crispy.
Variations and Swaps
Can't find Bloody Mary juice? Use 2 cup tomato juice such as V8, 1/4 cup tomato ketchup, 1-2 tsp hot sauce (more or less per taste), and 2 tablespoon lime juice.
Can't find Claim Juice? Use half bloody Mary and half Clamata Juice. Clamata juice is mix of claim juice and tomato juice.
Vegan Mexican Cocktail? If want to serve vegetarian/vegan guests, just skip shrimp and claim juice.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.